MAPD Plans Vs. Med Supp

Jdeasy:

Just keep telling yourself that. The statement about a person being just as well off with just Medicare if they can't afford a Med Sup is absurd. Try telling that to the people that are paying 20% of Chemo or any of the other big charges with no OOP on Medicare. They will wish they had a Max oop of $3000, $4000, or whatever their particular MA plan has.

Obama changed that all Advantage plans have to have a max out of pocket now. Some guy came into our office with a 20,000 bill for chemo a few years back he had scan :(

The thing most people don't acknowledge is accesibility is not the same with MA plans as original Medicare. My wife is the office manager for radiology at our local hospital.

1. Frequently a MA plan will deny treatment for high dollar procedures that original Medicare would approve.

2.Many skilled nursing facilities will refuse a MA patient based on the cost of their drugs since they are only reimbursed on a Per Diem basis. Where as if they had a Original Medicare patient they could not turn them away if they have an open bed.(Went through this with my Dad.)

3. If you go on Dialysis you're trapped and plan benefits that were great one year may change greatly by the next year.

The thing most people don't acknowledge is accesibility is not the same with MA plans as original Medicare. My wife is the office manager for radiology at our local hospital.

1. Frequently a MA plan will deny treatment for high dollar procedures that original Medicare would approve.

2.Many skilled nursing facilities will refuse a MA patient based on the cost of their drugs since they are only reimbursed on a Per Diem basis. Where as if they had a Original Medicare patient they could not turn them away if they have an open bed.(Went through this with my Dad.)

3. If you go on Dialysis you're trapped and plan benefits that were great one year may change greatly by the next year.

Spot on! Thanks for confirming to the masses what many of us have known for some time.

MA plans may have a place but the prospects I talk to, when they learn the "real" differences, almost always select a Med Supp Plan. As an agent who isn't certified and doesn't try to place MA plans I can talk to them about anything I want and compare all of their options. I can help them make a well-informed, intelligent decision as opposed to an emotional decision bases solely on the monthly premium.

There ain't no free lunch. One only gets what one pays for.

I don't think I would be talking about MA Plans unless I'm certified and have done a SOA Form.

You may very well be right, however, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :biggrin:

I am going to help my prospect make intelligent, well-informed decisions by providing them will all of the facts and options available to them. I view that as my responsibility as a professional agent.

You are absolutely right Frank. It would be nice if we could do that without so many darn regulations.

Have a Merry Christmas.

The best plan is whatever the client feels comfortable with. Our job is not to tell them this product or that product is the way they should go. It's not like a MAPD is the perfect product for a 70 year old female non-smoker with a few minor health problems. It's an individual decision. I've got people with alot of money on MA plans and I've got people that are pretty close to Medicaid or at least living paycheck to paycheck.

You lay out all their options for a Medicare Supplement and a PDP alongside a MAPD with a GTL (or any other hospital indemnity plan) and let them make their own decision. Some people hate the idea of copays while others hate the idea of paying a monthly premium for a Med Sup + PDP. Once they see you truely are not trying to push one product over the other you gain their trust because they can clearly see you are not trying to just push a product on them to make a sell.

This is just my opinion and it works well for me.

I believe this is a good strategy, if your relaxed it implies everyone buys everytime. But this is sales, and you do have to lead there thoughts, I believe older people are like children when it comes to medicare plans in the sense that they believe everything they heard with no proof of it being true. :D

Back