Mass Mutual

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
What do you guys think of Mass Mutual as a career agent?

Is there potential or will I become another one out the door in 6mo?

Is there anywhere better?

Has anyone on this forum worked there before or currently that could give me a little advice?

Would changing to a P&C agent be a better option while selling life as a broker?

I have been in the industry for 6 years and have NO experience in finding my own leads/clients, I have been working off a list as a captive agent.

Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated.

What do you guys think of Mass Mutual as a career agent?

Is there potential or will I become another one out the door in 6mo?

Is there anywhere better?

Has anyone on this forum worked there before or currently that could give me a little advice?

Would changing to a P&C agent be a better option while selling life as a broker?

I have been in the industry for 6 years and have NO experience in finding my own leads/clients, I have been working off a list as a captive agent.

If you're going to consider Mass Mutual, also contact Guardian, New York Life and Northwestern Mutual. All of them are higher-end, Whole Life-oriented shops with very good products.

The key for you will be how well you're trained, and that will depend on the individual office and manager. During the interview process, do the best you can to determine which office will provide the best training and support. Since you have no experience in creating your own leads, you need to know that you'll do or die with the skills you have, or those you acquire.

And absolutely, you have to produce to stay. So drink the Kool Aid and commit to marketing, marketing, marketing every waking minute.

Good luck, keep us posted.

That is your problem.

You don't know how to prospect. Odds are, your local Mass Mutual office isn't going to teach you either, nor any captive office. They are supposed to do so, but so many fall way short in that respect.

It doesn't matter what you are selling, if you can't find people to talk to that an interest in the product, you will fail.

Talk to all the people you want, but you better start every interview with the following line.

"For 6 years I was fed leads which I turned into sales. I do not know how to prospect. Will you teach me to prospect?"

Discussing anything else is a waste of your time and the recruiter's time.

That is your problem.

You don't know how to prospect. Odds are, your local Mass Mutual office isn't going to teach you either, nor any captive office. They are supposed to do so, but so many fall way short in that respect.

It doesn't matter what you are selling, if you can't find people to talk to that an interest in the product, you will fail.

Talk to all the people you want, but you better start every interview with the following line.

"For 6 years I was fed leads which I turned into sales. I do not know how to prospect. Will you teach me to prospect?"

Discussing anything else is a waste of your time and the recruiter's time.

I appreciate the advice. Do you think MM, NWM, or any of the upper insurance companies is the way to go?

Do you think I should look into a smaller agency where I can sell for many different companies?

Is there really any other options for me to leave my current situation and go somewhere...anywhere else and make money and not be out of the business in 6months? I am really taking a lot of time to make this decision since I do not want to leave the business.

I appreciate the advice. Do you think MM, NWM, or any of the upper insurance companies is the way to go?

Do you think I should look into a smaller agency where I can sell for many different companies?

Is there really any other options for me to leave my current situation and go somewhere...anywhere else and make money and not be out of the business in 6months? I am really taking a lot of time to make this decision since I do not want to leave the business.

Did you not read what I wrote?

The company isn't going to matter and the products aren't going to matter. What is going to matter is finding someone who can teach you to prospect for the product you have to sell.

Any of the big name companies are fine, even a small, independent agency in your town is fine. But they better be able to teach you to prospect, otherwise you are destined for failure.

Their pitch to my prospecting needs was to join different associations such as doctors, dentists, chambers of commerce and call the people I already have done business with and probe their business fields and referrals. Is there any other way?

And?

They'll just all magically buy from you? There is a lot of steps between joining an association and getting business from its members. They definitely won't come quick enough to produce the early sales you need to survive.

Are you going to be on Contract B to start with? If so, their idea will result in you washing out.

And?

They'll just all magically buy from you? There is a lot of steps between joining an association and getting business from its members. They definitely won't come quick enough to produce the early sales you need to survive.

Are you going to be on Contract B to start with? If so, their idea will result in you washing out.

Not sure what contract B is but they explained since I am a "vet" in the business I do not qualify for any financing so I am basically on my own for money. They only told me I had to do a minimum of $26k to validate my contract but they want $66k as their magic number.

Not sure what contract B is but they explained since I am a "vet" in the business I do not qualify for any financing so I am basically on my own for money. They only told me I had to do a minimum of $26k to validate my contract but they want $66k as their magic number.

Wasn't sure if you were going on the newbie contract or not.

So you need to do about $52,000 in premium by end of year. The number they give you is a bit misleading, cut the premium in half to calculate it. I forgot what term they give it now.

I'd definitely want more of a plan that "Go join some groups" to figure out how I'm going to do that much premium in the next six months. Particularly when you readily admit you don't know how to prospect.

Their pitch to my prospecting needs was to join different associations such as doctors, dentists, chambers of commerce and call the people I already have done business with and probe their business fields and referrals. Is there any other way?

Advisor06, click the link on the bottom of my post for some ideas. I tried to IM you, maybe you're too new, maybe I am.

You have to have a prospecting/marketing plan that will take up 30-40 hours a week of hard, face to face work. Business won't come to you, you have to go out and get it.

Latest posts

Back