Massachesetts: Half the Carriers Stop Taking Applications

I dare anybody to come in here and give us a serious rendering of how or if health insurance is sold in MA through a broker.

I have an aunt that works for Pilgrim in MA. She's not in sales, but knows the MA industry well. I'll shoot her an email and get her opinion. I'll report back anything interesting...

I Googled Massachusetts Health Insurance quote and went to one of the top sites on Page 1. I entered my information and was sent to GoHealth and subsequently EHealth. Celtic was the only company that showed up but when you apply, I assume EHealth gets their cut.

No resaon Norvax can't set up the same thing with us.

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/Quote.fs?mcei.html.screen=ApplicationInit&mcei.html.screen%2B%2B.IFPPlanDetails.cid:1117700.rate:264,96.pid:3.fp:ApplicationInit.sb:ehealth.sr:&mcei.appl.Save.AllianceId=Nor29413&mcei.appl.Save.IncUid=thankyous5__2326_20649402_1270741908_02210_MA

My monthly rates for a comparable plan in MA would be double my current individual rate plus $50! WTF!!!

I ran through the enrollment of a plan through the exchange site and stopped on the last page. There was not one place to enter broker info.

And I am with the rest of you guys; I have no clue how the non exchange policies are sold, but would like to know... especially if the exchange only accounts for 14%. If there is that little need for it is it really worth it???

Brookfield Partners? Something like that, he is an agent from Mass.

Ok Brookfield, help the uninformed please. When the exchanges go national, maybe we can't equate the same with what has already happened in MA...?

According to the state's stats, only 14% have purchased through the exchange.

This will be different with the new Federal legislation as the exchange will be where you get your income based subsidies. It's really not an apples to apples comparison to what is coming.

Good statistic - but not apples to apples.

The link below is an article with a statement from the NAHU about the agents role in the health reform. This is also a link in another thread titled "Im waiting for Obama"
Look at the bottom of the article where it has the italics and the edit area. It has excerpted text from the bill quoted.

Basically, the bill says that the states have a choice to include agents or brokers in the enrollment process. I would imagine that this would be utilized mostly at the group level with the "SHOP" exchanges for small businesses.
That means that we need to get active on the state level to lobby for an agents role in our home state...

Agents role

Back