MassMutual or Principal Financial Group

StuGreen

I'm trying to get some advice from current or past agents with either company. Currently I'm a captive P&C agent looking to make a switch to more of a financial service roll. Both companies seem to be good companies to work for. MM looks to be less structure and more of an indy fill, than Principal.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you!!

My question is, why do you want to leave P&C?

Financial services is a completely different sell.

But I'll second what Full Throttle said, the agency is vastly more important than the company. Look at them all, Guardian, Mass, MetLife, NYL, NWM, Lincoln, MoO, OneAmerica, etc. They are all dying for new recruits right now, see where you will fit in best and don't get too caught up on the nitty gritty of the contract and policies available. Also, be prepared to drink some kool-aid. The key to success with any career shop is drinking some kool-aid and liking it. Just don't get drunk on it.

VolAgent: As a captive P&C agent, I'm not making great money. The other product we offer are not that competitive (comm/life/health) including P&C. Most of my day is spent trying to get people who are price shopping to see the value in me and my company...lets just say not enough make the switch. I would like to go straight indy but I do not have the capital right now to do so. Top it all off I'm looking to move to another state.

I know that FS side is a different animal, however I belive the payout is higher.

What makes MM better than Principal in your eyes?

Umm, if you are leaving P&C because you believe it's commoditized and not enough people want to buy from you because they just price shop, working at both Mass and Principal is going to potentially be very disappointing.

That being said, Mass would be my choice between the two. Principal loves their 401k business, outside of that, not a lot to get all that excited about.

Mass has a good broker/dealer, a pretty good DI product, and a good WL contract. Term is a little iffy on the price side at both.

I concur with above posters, between the two, I would do MM hands down. And this is coming from someone who is leaving a MM agency at present.

VolAgent is right, it's more about the agency than the company - the right agency is the key. I'm not leaving because of MM - make sense?

The feedback you've received is spot on.....it's all about the agency. In terms of a company comparision, it's MM hands down.

Back