Math is Hard

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Some folks can't/won't/don't do math . . . so I have to do it for them.

Trying to help a lady find the lowest cost for Eliquis . . . either via PDP or Canada mail order. Sent her this.

Eliquis (brand) and apixaban (generic) are available via Maple Leaf pharmacy.
[EXTERNAL LINK] - Search Drug - Maple Leaf Medications

Ask your doc about using generic apixaban before going that route. Apixaban 5mg, 180 pills is $150 vs 112 Eliquis pills for $159.

Running Eliquis through Part D I would suggest using the SilverScript Plus plan ($69 monthly premium) and a yearly total drug cost (just for Eliquis) of $947 + $828 in premiums . . . $1775

I believe you are taking two 5mg pills daily . . . 730 pills total . . . if I did my math correctly, you would pay a little over $600 for apixaban or about $1050 for brand Eliquis.

She writes back . . . "I take 2 pills per day, not 730"

My response, 2 pills daily works out to 730 for the year.

Her response . . . "I can't afford to buy 730 pills at once!"

My response . . . you can buy a months supply at the same cost per pill . . .

Her response . . . "How much would that be?"

Math is hard . . .

KISS principle, somarco, always KISS.

While I fully understand your reasoning, I always try to 'explain it like they're 5'.

Hello, Miss Mary, ask your doctor if apixaban, which is the generic Eliquis, is ok. If so, you can get this filled at a Canadian pharmacy for just 50 bucks a month. How do you like that?

Then take Eliquis completely out of your Rx calcs and go with the best PDP option at that point. That's how I do it anyway. The older I get, the more valuable my minutes are and I don't have time to teach folks logic.

Why not apply for a PA from the manufacturer

Some folks can't/won't/don't do math . . . so I have to do it for them.

Trying to help a lady find the lowest cost for Eliquis . . . either via PDP or Canada mail order. Sent her this.

Eliquis (brand) and apixaban (generic) are available via Maple Leaf pharmacy.
[EXTERNAL LINK] - Search Drug - Maple Leaf Medications

Ask your doc about using generic apixaban before going that route. Apixaban 5mg, 180 pills is $150 vs 112 Eliquis pills for $159.

Running Eliquis through Part D I would suggest using the SilverScript Plus plan ($69 monthly premium) and a yearly total drug cost (just for Eliquis) of $947 + $828 in premiums . . . $1775

I believe you are taking two 5mg pills daily . . . 730 pills total . . . if I did my math correctly, you would pay a little over $600 for apixaban or about $1050 for brand Eliquis.

She writes back . . . "I take 2 pills per day, not 730"

My response, 2 pills daily works out to 730 for the year.

Her response . . . "I can't afford to buy 730 pills at once!"

My response . . . you can buy a months supply at the same cost per pill . . .

Her response . . . "How much would that be?"

Math is hard . . .

This made me literally lol

Aside from that...am I missing out from telling people to get their expensive meds from a Canadian pharmacy?! I’ve said good Rx before but never Canadian pharmacy.

This made me literally lol

It was funny to me as well. TBF, this lady is in her early 70's and has been struggling lately. Money is tight, she is dealing with a 2nd cancer dx since last November, and has to rely on her children to help her out.

This time of year I don't have much spare time to devote to things like this, but if you can't/won't help your clients in a situation like this, who will?

Back