• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Med Supp 2-3 Hour Appointment?

I don't sit on the phone all day. Most of my face to face is for investments and small group. I figure if I can spend 30 minutes on the phone and make a sale, it's better than getting dressed up and driving 30+ minutes each way to meet with a client, spending an hour or so with them (it always lasts longer in a face to face meeting) and then driving back. So what I can get done in 30 minutes doesn't need to take 2-3 hours. Nor the added expense of gas.

Additionally, I'd say more than 50% of my Med Supp clients live more than 2 hours from me in all directions. I'm definitely not driving to meet with them. I still take care of them and it shows by the referrals they send me.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone meeting face to face. I used to do that as well. I just feel I am worker smarter now.

I would rather be castrated then sell stuff on the phone all day. I would find that very boring, but I understand there are plenty of people that like it.

I absolutely love going into seniors home, sitting at their table, and helping them with the insurance needs. I absolutely love what I do and it appears that you do too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I know exactly what you mean. The weather here today is NASTY (rainy and cold). I didn't leave the house (which means I didn't get wet or cold) and wrote two Med Supps today.

I'll take that over battling the cold wet weather driving around town to write two.

Not to mention I got to have lunch with my wife and daughter.

I would say about half of the total apps. I write I do by phone calls. It is nice to sit at my desk in a T-shirt and blue jeans and write insurance.

Last edited:
I don't sit on the phone all day. Most of my face to face is for investments and small group. I figure if I can spend 30 minutes on the phone and make a sale, it's better than getting dressed up and driving 30+ minutes each way to meet with a client, spending an hour or so with them (it always lasts longer in a face to face meeting) and then driving back. So what I can get done in 30 minutes doesn't need to take 2-3 hours. Nor the added expense of gas.

Additionally, I'd say more than 50% of my Med Supp clients live more than 2 hours from me in all directions. I'm definitely not driving to meet with them. I still take care of them and it shows by the referrals they send me.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone meeting face to face. I used to do that as well. I just feel I am worker smarter now.

I know exactly what you mean. The weather here today is NASTY (rainy and cold). I didn't leave the house (which means I didn't get wet or cold) and wrote two Med Supps today.

I'll take that over battling the cold wet weather driving around town to write two.

Not to mention I got to have lunch with my wife and daughter.

I understand, hopefully one day I can be more picky about the things I do too. Speaking of cold and nasty, I currently have 12" of snow right now whith another 12-18 expected tomorrow.

After all the informative posts, (and thanks, guys for the help), it seems like if you know what you are doing, you won't have all the problems I had yesterday and today. Duuuuh!:goofy:

What a revelation!!!!

I suppose somehow I figured I could make a call, grab an app, run out and write a deal like the smoothest of the smooth..

Actually, I approached FE that way and managed to bumble through my first few deals and then I WAS off and running.

This is a different animal though! I don't see anyone picking up an application, firing off the first round and hitting the bullseye, or even the paper without some heavy duty studying.

At the very least, knowing Parts A&B, as Rick said, and using a few tips from others like Dwayne and Frank might get you a completed app..

I'm an expert at calling ducks and geese into decoys. I can bring 'em to within 15 feet of the muzzle of my shotgun. But, chances are, if you've never called waterfowl, you would make a mess out of it. (just as I did with my first med supp appt.) You would need some training, because you would make 'em speed up 10 miles an hour while they exited your presence....Qlaughing !!

For duck/goose call training, just PM me...but it ain't free.:biggrin:

Now lets see, where did I put that medicare manual?:idea:
Failed to mention Russ...A few tips from you too, Captain!

Last edited:
After all the informative posts, (and thanks, guys for the help), it seems like if you know what you are doing, you won't have all the problems I had yesterday and today. Duuuuh!:goofy:

What a revelation!!!!

I suppose somehow I figured I could make a call, grab an app, run out and write a deal like the smoothest of the smooth..

Actually, I approached FE that way and managed to bumble through my first few deals and then I WAS off and running.

This is a different animal though! I don't see anyone picking up an application, firing off the first round and hitting the bullseye, or even the paper without some heavy duty studying.

At the very least, knowing Parts A&B, as Rick said, and using a few tips from others like Dwayne and Frank might get you a completed app..

I'm an expert at calling ducks and geese into decoys. I can bring 'em to within 15 feet of the muzzle of my shotgun. But, chances are, if you've never called waterfowl, you would make a mess out of it. (just as I did with my first med supp appt.) You would need some training, because you would make 'em speed up 10 miles an hour while they exited your presence....Qlaughing !!

For duck/goose call training, just PM me...but it ain't free.:biggrin:

Now lets see, where did I put that medicare manual?:idea:
Failed to mention Russ...A few tips from you too, Captain!

You said- For duck/goose call training, just PM me...but it ain't free.

WOULD THAT BE CONSIDERED COLD CALLING? AND IF SO, DO YOU USE THE SAME SCRIPT OVER AND OVER.:D:D:D

This is my first med supp appointment that started yesterday:

I am trying to get this med supp thing. I really, really am, but I have a family member with Plan L ! I have talked for 2 days with her and she keeps coming up with question after question after question. She knows more about it than I do. I am trying to get her on G, but the deductible questions and medicine questions, and doctor questions are just slamming me against the wall. I know I will write it, but its gonna take more time and research.....

Have you considered that since she is a family member that she may be "messing with you" just a little? You indicate that she is already on Medicare and apparently has been for a while since she currently has a Plan L.

It is very seldom that someone who is already on Medicare and has a Med Supp policy asks all of those questions. Those kind of questions are a whole lot more common from someone T65 as oppose to one who already has a Med Supp. That's only one of the reasons I target people 67 and older.

The Med Supp she currently has isn't all that different than any of the other plans. The basics of Part A and B are the same. There are only slight differences from one plan to another.

One reason it may be taking so long is you are probably trying to answer each question she asks instead of first explaining how Medicare and a Med Supp work and how they complement each other. A good explanation of what Medicare covers followed by the things covered by a Med Supp generally eliminate additional questions about things like deductibles, doctors, illnesses, etc.

The easiest way to handle the presentation is by using factual information presented logically so they can understand it. When you explain a benefit then also give an example of things covered by that benefit. This will eliminate a lot of additional questions.

After you have been doing this for a while you will learn the typical questions and objections that seniors have and be able to address them before they bring them up. The best way to handle any objection or question is to address it before they mention it. This comes with knowledge and a lot of experience, all of which takes time.

Every time you give a presentation it will get smoother and easier. Make notes about your appointments, jot down questions they ask and do some research. Over time you will better learn what to say, when to say it and how to say it.

Many successful agents on this board didn't receive any training at all. They learned by making mistakes, getting frustrated, being determined not to fail and constantly changing what they do and how they do it until they made it work.

The only thing that quality training does is shorten the learning curve. It will allow you to avoid a lot of the pitfalls that self trained agents have experienced. Typically this kind of knowledge only comes with years of experience.

Good point....always ask to see the red, white and blue Medicare card. Use that as a close. If they go to get it....start writing!:yes:

Probably it doesnt matter much one way or the other but I ask to see their medicare card as an opener rather than a close. Usually we are still talking about weather and I just say "can I take a quick peek at your red, white, and blue card so that I can see what you have now" And then we are still talking about something else but I have the card in front of me. Then I say "you have parts A and B, that's good, and you are having part B taken out of your social security so that's good." It is mostly just banter but gets you talking and positioned. I think having that red, white, and blue siting right next to me lets me just do an "assumed close" much more easily because I just start in with the app when it is looking good but dont have to stop for them to produce the card. Also, if you are going to have to do a full explanation on what a med supp is, it is not a bad segway to be able to point to the parts A and B on the card and explain why it is good to have them but where they could come up short. Whatever. If the guy hasn't gotten his deer yet, we might talk about that instead. Usually, I dont help because I am more interested in hearing about his deer. :)

If they alreadly have a supp. I still do it and ask to take a quick peek at their med supp card so that I can see what plan they have. Even if I have already spoken with them at length on the phone and pretty much know what's what it just gives me a little ritual to get into the saddle when I go to write the app.

And........of course sometimes the buggers don't have part B and thought they did and tis good to know that upfront so as to put a game plan together.

Last edited:
Unless you are working on a complicated estate plan or business succession, any appointment that goes beyond an hour is begging. Your prospect decided long before then that they were not going to buy. If they do buy, it is to get rid of you so they can cancel later.

Winter, you are one smooth talker . . .

Do you own goats too?

Makes perfect sense, Frank. They don't call you the CEO for nuthin'. No offense to all the other pros out there. And there are a lot of 'em.

I made C's and D's in school because I would'nt take a book home, and loathed homework. I disliked reading any work that was over 5-6 pages, (big print). This reading vein of laziness followed me throughout my adult years, and festered up again with this first MS appointment.

I'm not lazy, just don't like to read. One of my sons just finished reading his manual last night and has hammered me flat about not gettin' after it.

I guess I'll be busy this weekend trying to do SOMETHING right for a change !
Might even go back and study a little FE material from way back.........WHAT?......Nah!

This is all, of course, unless something gets in the way. Such as golf, duck hunting, cooking enchiladas, taking a ride, or settling in for long Saturday afternoon nap.
But, I'm sure that none of those things will rear their ugly heads today....:nah:

---------------------------------------------------------
**I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.

Probably it doesnt matter much one way or the other but I ask to see their medicare card as an opener rather than a close.

I'm sure you do very well selling Med Supps and have a very smooth "dog and pony show" that works extremely well for you.

To me it makes a huge difference at what point I ask for their Medicare Card. If I ask to see their Medicare Card at the beginning of an appointment that negates the smoothest, easiest close I have ever come up with.

When I finish my presentation and only when I think they are ready I simply say, "I just need to see your Medicare Card to get this started". I don't ask them if they like it, if they want it or if they think it is a "good deal". When they hand me their card I know they are ready to sign the app.

I never find that they don't have Part B. Just about the only ones who will not have Part B are those who declined it mostly because they were employed and had a group health plan. Seniors are much more savvy about that today and when I talk to them if they don't have Part B they have usually already applied for it.

Back