Med Supp for a client taking a blood thinner?

I have a client that had a stroke in 2016 and was put on Clopidogrel and never taken off. He has no history of A-Fib, DVTs, or anything else that would be a contributing factor for another stroke or clots. He is otherwise a picture of health and wants to switch from his advantage plan to a plan G since his wife's plan works so well for her. I know Humana will give an instant decline with this med, does anyone know of a company where a blood thinner with no recent or chronic illnesses might be approved? I don't have the Medicare toolkit since I mostly write T-65s and don't need research tools very often.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

According to the Toolkit, looks like he's SOL. Try BCBSTX, seems like they're more lenient than other carriers.

Most cariers will take him. Go through there knock out drugs and if it is not on there they will take him. I know Lumico, Great Southern Life, Cigna, and I think Aetna would although it is a knock out drug only if he has peripheral vascular disease. Pick a company and submit him, should not be a problem

I would guess I have somewhere between 50 to 100 clients taking one of those medications. 80% of my book is underwritten and I am one of those that I make the underwriting do their job. If my client can answer the questions on the app and there are no knock out drugs, I submit it and make the company say yes or no. I have multiple times put an app in with one company and had it declined and then put in with another company and had it auto approved.

@Kstatemike

Your response seems very cavalier and ill-considered when one looks at OP's request and goillini's response.

OP seems to be looking for a step to avoid time-consuming questionable multiple application submissions. You seem to be saying, to do a responsible job, OP should be prepared to submit all those multiple applications.

goillini did research and said no companies met op's criteria. You threw out a raft of company names and said they would. Did you do any research? I looked at Lumico, the first company on your list. I found a 2021 agent underwriting guide online. Clopidogrel is on the knockout drug list, just as the research tool said it would be. To me, that puts the entirety of your post in question.

https://www.lumico.com/GenerationLi...s-Medicare-Supplement-Agent-UW-Guide-v4-0.pdf

@Kstatemike

Your response seems very cavalier and ill-considered when one looks at OP's request and goillini's response.

OP seems to be looking for a step to avoid time-consuming questionable multiple application submissions. You seem to be saying, to do a responsible job, OP should be prepared to submit all those multiple applications.

goillini did research and said no companies met op's criteria. You threw out a raft of company names and said they would. Did you do any research? I looked at Lumico, the first company on your list. I found a 2021 agent underwriting guide online. Clopidogrel is on the knockout drug list, just as the research tool said it would be. To me, that puts the entirety of your post in question.

https://www.lumico.com/GenerationLi...s-Medicare-Supplement-Agent-UW-Guide-v4-0.pdf

Attachments

• Lumico-MS-Underwriting-Guide.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

I did look at a few. Lumico UW is different from Elips UW same company but diferent UW guidelines. Not sure why but that is what I was going off.

This one is Lumico not Elips
https://goldencaremedicare.com/docs/Lumico-MS-Underwriting-Guide.pdf
Lumico/Elips is probably the most lenient carrier I use. One of their underwriters told me last year that there were mistakes in their RX KO list.

I think the UW is the same for both companies...the health questions on the app are the same.

Last edited:
I had someone suggest Medico so I called them and asked for an underwriter. After talking with the underwriter and giving her a synopsis she told me that if he was active and had no residual symptoms from the stroke they would consider him as a client. We submitted the app on Thursday so hopefully sometime this week we will hear something. If he gets approved I will update this thread to let everyone know.

Carriers who will take anyone who can fog a mirror have been around for some time and will always be here to feed on the bottom.

I played that game in the past but don't any longer. Not everyone shares my views, and that is fine. Just know what you are getting into.

Carriers who will take anyone who can fog a mirror have been around for some time and will always be here to feed on the bottom.

I played that game in the past but don't any longer. Not everyone shares my views, and that is fine. Just know what you are getting into.
Not a question of what they are getting into but what they are getting their client into.

Not a question of what they are getting into but what they are getting their client into.

Is there something about Medico that I am not aware of? I have not heard any bad things about them in this neck of the woods, but I do financial planning primarily and have maybe 115 Medicare clients that just happened along the way of retirement distribution planning. Medico's market analytics on CSG doesn't look bad from what I see but I am always up to be enlightened.

I am always leery of small cap carriers that are overly aggressive, especially in a market where they have nominal penetration. CSG shows S&P rating N/A. Perhaps they have been in TX for a while. They entered GA in August, 2021 and have 236 lives on the books here (per CSG). I have two carriers where my block is over 250 with each of them.

Ive done a bunch with that as maintenance drug for stroke or stent,

Key is no diabeties, not other major conditions and stable and have been over the look back for stent or stroke,

I have used carriers like Mutual, Aetna, Medico, Cigna, Union Security

Though Nat gen I know wont accept maintenance meds and there are a few others who have issues with these meds

Back