Med Supp Question

Hey John,
According to my Med Supp guy here (Scott), in North Carolina the United Health Care contract is a competitive contract, however, it is not the only contract out there. United Health Care does carry the AARP moniker which does make it attractive to clients.
Yeah right, this is a complete falsehood. I have never lost a client to AARP but I have replaced many. AARP stands for "another angry retired person". Mutual of Omaha has just as good of a name. Ever heard of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom? Your seniors have....

Are the MoO rates lower then AARP UHC?

They can be.

It is going to depend on where you are as in what state.

No company is going to be lower than any other company for any appreciable length of time. Company A could be competitive today, have an increase tomorrow and not be competitive.

It is important that an agent be contracted with several Med Supp companies to insure that he always has the company with the most competitive rates at any given time.

How many do you recommend Frank? I obviously try to have the lowest and then also the best known one. Usually have 4 or 5 at any given time and move on to the next one that comes out with low rates.

How many do you recommend Frank? I obviously try to have the lowest and then also the best known one. Usually have 4 or 5 at any given time and move on to the next one that comes out with low rates.

I try to stay licensed with around three to five, depending on the state. Even though I may not be writing for all of them, I want several so when one has an increase I can immediately switch to the next one in line.

I don't worry about having the "best known". I have never found that to be a major advantage unless they are also the most competitive. Just about every company I have ever sold for was not a known company to my prospects except for MOO.

It sounds like you are on the right track.

I keep BCBS on hand just because alot of people think they are the best because they have had them for 30 years while working. I like having it because at least I can show the client their rate and offer it to them but also show them United of Omaha or Family Life rates which are quite a bit lower. They always choose United or Family Life but at least they know I have BCBS so they don't have to go looking for an agent to get a quote with them. I've written 5 BCBS applications for Med Sups in 10 years.

Back