Medi Share

i am new to this site so have to spell out www dot christiancare dot org

years ago was designed to "share" medical expenses..only for Christians and all in the plan would send money to the person who "needed" it...then got into trouble....then came back and I guess had real insurance for any claim over $50k...don't know if that's still how it works but not real insurance and doesn't have to go through the states doi on claims reserves and the like.

Zaint has been posting on here about the exemption in the Healthcare bill...He is pushing these Religion based sharing programs...I have known some people that have used these programs and it did work for them...However on reading the website I have always gotten a slightly nausous feeling when reading the description and finally there is no guarantee of payment if I'm not correct, no reinsurance, not covered by state guanrantee programs.

Having said all this the fact that it looks like they may still be able to decline to cover people using underwriting after GI goes into effect and that they can decline to cover procedures on a basis of religish believe might help them with rates....Rates where not much better than insurance in my state and we are already GI.

ya it says right on their website that it is "NOT INSURANCE" and is exempt from the healthcare reform bill.

I called them. Now you set up account at American Christian Credit Union (ACCU). They send partial power of attorney form that says you give Christian Care Ministries to that account (monthly share amount). you get a monthly statement and can see on montly statement where money went to help others in "need".

The Monthly share is determined by # of people on plan and dob of oldest and annual household portion that you choose (like a family accumulative deductible). Annual househole portion is amount you agree to pay ELIGIBLE medical expenses before you receive sharing. (which pays the rest). Caps are 1M per person per year or 5M lifetime all sharing (no insurance).

Use PHCS network. All in house sales. Years ago had like regional managers but no more.

ya it says right on their website that it is "NOT INSURANCE" and is exempt from the healthcare reform bill.

I called them. Now you set up account at American Christian Credit Union (ACCU). They send partial power of attorney form that says you give Christian Care Ministries to that account (monthly share amount). you get a monthly statement and can see on montly statement where money went to help others in "need".

The Monthly share is determined by # of people on plan and dob of oldest and annual household portion that you choose (like a family accumulative deductible). Annual househole portion is amount you agree to pay ELIGIBLE medical expenses before you receive sharing. (which pays the rest). Caps are 1M per person per year or 5M lifetime all sharing (no insurance).

Use PHCS network. All in house sales. Years ago had like regional managers but no more.

The question I always have is if your seeing where the money goes each month do you see any go to reserves for when they get hit with a larger than normal series of large claims?

The question I always have is if your seeing where the money goes each month do you see any go to reserves for when they get hit with a larger than normal series of large claims?

That's the million dollar question.....I had a "regional manager" years ago try to recruit me to sell this stuff and I couldn't get that out of him them and today I talked to a "new here myself" selling the plan over the phone (all inhouse sales) and I'm sure he doesn't even know what claims reserves even mean let alone be able to answer the question. They don't have to report to the doi on claims reserves so who knows.

My favorite line to people who had it (haven't run into it in a long time) was that I would tell them that I can't compete with faith....worked every time.

Christian health Insurance Alternative: Medi-Share Reviewed

First hand knowledge? No. I worked with a stop loss underwriter years ago that wrote stop loss on Samaritan, a similar fund.

I had some conversations with one of the program directors of Medi-Share a few years ago. At that time they were not using any PPO network which I found a bit disturbing.

More importantly to anyone using this is the lack of a guarantee. I doubt many docs and hospitals will be willing to schedule major procedures without a financial guarantor.

Had a health insurance client in the early part of the century who left Christian Medshare because THEY deem what is reasonable-and-customary when it comes to paying medical bills. He had a knee operation that was $35,000, but C.M. only felt that the total cost of the operation was only worth $14,000. He had to pay the difference. Also, C.M. would only pay for 3 of his knee rehabilitation therapy visits, although he had many more over a 6 month period. Client had to pay $250 per visit after his first 3.

His premium for the plan was about 60% of what he paid for the health insurance policy with me. The appealing thing was the lower cost and a zero deductible with Christian Medshare, but there was no security against big medical bills. It wasn't even as good as a TEAMCORP plan. -Allen

I explained the negatives as everyone, as pointed out, also told him to call his doctor's office and regional hospital and ask their billing department their experience. But this guy has 7 kids, part time minister and is broke, and has "faith" that this is the thing to do. Wished him well.

Back