Medicaid question

vic120

Guru
5000 Post Club
OH
I don't usually do these, But I want to help this lady as best as I can

Apparently she is SLMB designation not SLMB +

So what really is the difrence? And What are the odds of her being able to get a SLMB + designation? she said she has had more from Medicaid but it Changed and she does not know why should does get food money so I was surprised she didn't have enough for SLMB+ rating

If not she also said she is having issue getting card she was told when she calls she has to have her agent request for some reason

One more question IF I do a reg MA plan at a $23 premium will Medicaid pay the premium if it is SLMB level?

SLMB and SLMB+ have the same income guidelines, but + also qualifies for full Medicaid where as SLMB only qualifies for the part B assistance.

As far as the $23 premium, its going to depend, but typically if SLMB, they will qualify for extra help, which will pay up to a certain amount for Part D. Most MA companies have loaded the premiums toward the Part D side and not the medical side so that it is covered for beneficiaries who qualify for extra help.

I would also check for partial dual plans, as they are becoming more prevalent these days and cut down significantly on co-pays.

SLMB and SLMB+ have the same income guidelines, but + also qualifies for full Medicaid where as SLMB only qualifies for the part B assistance.

As far as the $23 premium, its going to depend, but typically if SLMB, they will qualify for extra help, which will pay up to a certain amount for Part D. Most MA companies have loaded the premiums toward the Part D side and not the medical side so that it is covered for beneficiaries who qualify for extra help.

I would also check for partial dual plans, as they are becoming more prevalent these days and cut down significantly on co-pays.

Yes I am finding most Duels start at SLMB+ or higher

Here is where I am confused and I don't really deal with this much just coming up a whole lot more lately

But she is SLMB not + but she does receive Medicaid money for food so its more then just part B premium paid

Hmm... Louisiana doesn't offer any money from Medicaid for food. We do have a partial plan in my area that has a small monthly food card. Do you have contact information for anyone with SHIIP in your state? Since Medicaid is a state-level program, they may be able to provide more insight than what I can.

Their food benefit could be from the SNAP program and from my understanding that is a separate benefit from Medicaid benefits. Depending on the area they are in some DSNP plans like Humana include a food card usually around $50 or so that SLMB are eligible for.

It looks like the benchmark for LA this year is a little over $36 so it would cover the premium up to that but only if it includes rx coverage.

Attachments

• Benchmarks.pdf
    106 KB · Views: 0
Their food benefit could be from the SNAP program and from my understanding that is a separate benefit from Medicaid benefits. Depending on the area they are in some DSNP plans like Humana include a food card usually around $50 or so that SLMB are eligible for.

It looks like the benchmark for LA this year is a little over $36 so it would cover the premium up to that but only if it includes rx coverage.

Yea both UHC and Humana are SLMB+ and up

But I did a good UHC plan $31 premium all part D so it wont cost her anything

includes rides OTC pretty good dental most of what she was looking for low copays and such

She seems happy

she was on a high copay wellcare plan think it was the buy back plan but she doesn't pay part B premiums anyway She hated the copays and little extra's

SO think she is good only thing she doesn't get that she wanted was the food card

Back