Medicaid's Dark Secret

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
Medicaid’s Dark Secret

For many participants, the program that provides health care to millions of low-income Americans isn’t free. It’s a loan. And the government expects to be repaid.

Medicaid, the government program that provides health care to more than 75 million low-income and disabled Americans, isn’t necessarily free. It’s the only major welfare program that can function like a loan. Medicaid recipients over the age of 55 are expected to repay the government for many medical expenses—and states will seize houses and other assets after those recipients die in order to satisfy the debt.

My guess is most of those folks on Medicaid will be below the threshold for probating an estate

Medicaid’s Dark Secret

For many participants, the program that provides health care to millions of low-income Americans isn’t free. It’s a loan. And the government expects to be repaid.

Medicaid, the government program that provides health care to more than 75 million low-income and disabled Americans, isn’t necessarily free. It’s the only major welfare program that can function like a loan. Medicaid recipients over the age of 55 are expected to repay the government for many medical expenses—and states will seize houses and other assets after those recipients die in order to satisfy the debt.

this is no secret.
it's been the law for over 30 years.

I did...but thanks for reminding me on why I haven’t spent anytime on this site in ages lol

Lots of dopes out there (as we speak) who have mom's house sold (and the money spent) even though she's still watching "The Feud" and scratching her ass in the nursing home.:err:

Back