Medicare Cards

T Uninsured – Entitled to HIB (Part A) under deemed or renal provisions; or fully insured who have elected entitlement only to HIB

Now, the Medicare cards said that they had both A and B as of May 1st. Is this something I should have my clients check into? Or is it normal? :1err:

Normal, don't worry about the T. Usually means that they didn't have enough qtrs for SS, but are getting M'care anyway.

What I have found is that usually most with a T, even though not drawing SS, they are usually drawing SSI; like $ 604 mo, or so. Since they are just enrolling they should be set-up correctly, but if the income is in that range I would be certain that they are getting Full Extra Help on Rx, and Part B Prem assistance. A conf call to SS with them will enlighten you and you will be certain that they are receiving all that they are qualifying for.

Normal, don't worry about the T. Usually means that they didn't have enough qtrs for SS, but are getting M'care anyway.

What I have found is that usually most with a T, even though not drawing SS, they are usually drawing SSI; like $ 604 mo, or so. Since they are just enrolling they should be set-up correctly, but if the income is in that range I would be certain that they are getting Full Extra Help on Rx, and Part B Prem assistance. A conf call to SS with them will enlighten you and you will be certain that they are receiving all that they are qualifying for.

Money is not an issue with these guys. He's got his own consulting business, travels all over the world with it. Anyhow, glad to know that it's not something to worry about.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There is a full page of letters that can be behiond or in front of the number.

I have the page with the meanings for all of the letters. I don't know how to put it on here.

I think Newby put it on here once. If someone knows how the list it here I will send it to you so you can do just that.

I got it from the the questions about SS website. I just didn't understand exactly what it meant! :) I'm not so good with guberment-speak. haha
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
T means they have Medicare, just not drawing Social Security

that's the interesting part, I have a couple of clients who aren't collecting social security yet, and theirs doesn't have the T after it. Which is what confused me. Unless I'm wrong and they are collecting.....I suppose that could be true. Hard to keep them all straight, sometimes, since whether or not they are collecting SS is not something I need to know particularly.

Last edited:
I've never seen any letters after the SS# other than A or B, until this last couple I wrote up a med supp for. Both of them have a letter T after their SS number.

This is what I've found out about it:

T Uninsured – Entitled to HIB (Part A) under deemed or renal provisions; or fully insured who have elected entitlement only to HIB

Now, the Medicare cards said that they had both A and B as of May 1st. Is this something I should have my clients check into? Or is it normal? :1err:
I had some clients with the "T" suffix AND cards with "A". Seems common that since there are no dates on the cards themselves (not the entitlement dates) that people will keep them, not knowing what to do with them. In this case, I think they got the "T" cards when they signed up for Medicare but did not elect Part B, but then got SS and received the other set. It has been a few years, so I won't claim complete accuracy for this, but I assumed the "T" meant "temporary".... so I told them to toss them and keep the ones with A & B benefits.

Back