Medicare fraudster who fled to Cuba faces prison sentencing in Miami a decade later

I had a call come in today, lady said she has received two calls today from a gentleman, with a foreign accent, claiming to represent medicare. He told her he already had all of her info, DOB, Address, MBI Claim number, but he needed to document who her primary care physician is.

Initially I thought, oh he must be trying to sneak in an OEP app before the deadline. Then, thought maybe its a lead gen, planning to hand it off to another.

I now question if it could be related to the change healthcare data hack. Do any of us know exactly what all was compromised?

If the data did in fact include DOB, MBI, Address (not hard to find), could this sort of approach be an attempt to submit fraudulent claims? I would think the PCP data would have already been in that data leak, so perhaps this was a different plan.

I imagine there have been quite a few people who have made out pretty well on these fraudulent claims. The greedy are the ones getting caught, more than likely.

It still baffles me that phone number spoofing is enough of a curtain to hide behind in most cases.

Back