Medicare Health Plans

Rodinaz

I am presently working at age 66. Due to a health condition I most likely will be forced to retire soon. I have SS part A and applying for part B this week. The forms will be hand carried to SS to make sure its in effect by Feb 1st.

I've done a fair amount of research on medical coverage but as yet have not made a decision. I like the idea of advantage plans (everything under 1 roof). It appears though a supplement plan may be a better choice. I'm thinking I need an agent that deals with medicare plans. How about some recommendations for Phoenix AZ.

Depends on your budget and your tolerance for copays whether you choose Medicare Advantage or a Supplement. Supplements tend to cover more at the doc than Advantage plans but they are more expensive of course (and you still need a separate Prescription plan). Depends on your budget.

That being said, please do use an agent, and don't just check this site for advice only, then apply direct. It doesn't cost you any more to have a good agent on your side, they will take care of you from this point forward. Plans can change (or go up) from year to year, and if you buy direct you won't have an advocate to make sure you stay covered properly in the years to come. Plus, having an agent helps you sort through a ton of information out there (you are getting bombarded I bet), and you need to make sure that agent gets compensated. We got through a TON of compliance testing just to be able to sell these plans (you have no idea), and, with the current regulatory environment going on in Washington these days, most of us have seen our commissions get cut (bet you haven't seen your premiums go down huh?). Anyway, I am licensed in Georgia so I can't help you but I bet someone from Arizona will post soon. Another thing, check the cost of your medical condition with an Advantage plan or a Supplement because if this condition is forcing you to retire it is probably going to be costly to take care of (just a guess). So, again, check your budget and out of pocket expenses on the cheaper (or free) plans. Don't forget to check your prescriptions, and any potential health problems that may stem out of your condition in the near future (for now you can switch at the end of each year, but the health reform, who knows if that will continue). AND (sorry to go on!) because of compliance and regulations anyone may not be able to ask you certain questions (don't ask, it's the government trying to protect you) so make sure you tell them you want to let them know your medical and prescriptions since they can't ask (at least in Georgia we can't and I am assuming that is true in AZ also). Plus you have to sign a scope of appointment with the agent before they can even talk to you at all (on a direct sale too, which you shouldn't do). Again, government intervention (for your safety). Hope all of this helps!

AndreaSti, I just recovered enough from drooling over Raquel's picture so I can tell you that "don't ask them about their medicines" is a CMS rule. i.e., it is nationwide. Now I am going back to that picture.:goofy:

Last edited:
AndreaSti, I just recovered enough from drooling over Raquel's picture so I can tell you that "don't ask them about their medicines" is a CMS rule. i.e., it is nationwide. Now I am going back to thet picture.:goofy:

Hey, I was just letting him know that the government thinks he is a feeble *** that needs to be protected against us evil, immoral agents and companies. Also that he needs to "volunteer" the information so whoever helps actually can.

It is only agents who sell MA plans who have to put up with the compliance and regulations you are speaking of. Agents who sell Med Supps are not governed by any of that.

There are many agents who can give you all the information you need to make a well informed, intelligent decision who don't need to be concerned with all of that. That is only one of the reasons I won't sell MA plans.

Also, CMS has their program designed so that agents who sell MA plans are prohibited from comparing plans and giving you all the information necessary to help you make a decision.

Talk to a Med Supp agent first and have him give you all of the pros and cons of each. If you decide to take an MA plan then ask that agent for a recommendation.

Keep in mind that as people get older there is only one thing that is going to provide them with the best quality of life available and that is the best quality of health care this country has to offer. I don't believe that MA plans afford people that freedom and flexibility. Just my two cents worth.

Keep in mind that as people get older there is only one thing that is going to provide them with the best quality of life available and that is the best quality of health care this country has to offer. I don't believe that MA plans afford people that freedom and flexibility. Just my two cents worth.

Quoted for Truth

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IF you can afford a Med Sup good for you. If not at least MAs are out there as an option.

Last edited:

IF you can afford a Med Sup good for you. If not at least MAs are out there as an option.

I sell only Med Supps and it isn't very often that I encounter people who "can't afford" them. I guess seniors in Missouri have more money than those who live in the other 56 states.

You are correct though. There is an element of the population who have no money. I just don't prospect to those people.

To me it becomes a question of what if and follow the money...Which option will provide for the best medical care...Lets look at a Medicare Advantage for a second the idea of everything under one hat is great but the money comes from Medicare as a typical premium medicare would pay for that consumer with what has been a premium to the insurance carriers that politically I don't see continuing so what happens is whats happening in Maine fewer carrier premiums rise (And unlike real insurance products no one with any lick of common sense can believe the premiums the insured pay cover the cost of the benefits). Now lets look at a Original Medicare / Med Supp / PDP option...You still have the money Medicare would be pay plus you have the insured paying premiums for a plan to supplement medicare, then you have medicare and the insured through a carrier covering drug costs...Which one do you think is on a more solid footing to provide quality medical care down the road?

And yes I know the whole system has problems.

Actually we should take this discussion to another thread the OP asked a legitamite question one that requires researching what is available for MA plans in his area and comparing that to a Medicare Supplement and Original Medicare.

Thank you for the suggestions. None of us like carrying a policy with higher premiums but I'm afraid I'll have to. It will have to fit in the budget, I have no choice. That is if I want good coverage.

I called the state, SHIP I think its called for more info and waiting for a call back. (they just called, more info on they way) As of today I am enrolled in part B. I hand carried my forms into SS to make sure it was handled correct.

I'll keep checking back to see if someone responds from AZ. I should have put AZ in the header on my first post.

Back