Medicare is wrong. Part B start date question... Help?

I wish they had examples on the Medicare website to more fully explain how this sign up process works. Instead we all have to fumble through it like amateurs.
When does Medicare coverage start? | Medicare[/QUOTE]

And just like that, examples magically appear . . . how did you do that?

Yet they want agent to tell people to go to medicare.gov and sign themselves up

I have talked to a few over the years that bought MA only policy not realizing what they did, By doing it that way

and now have drug penalties[/QUOTE]

I had a guy several years ago . . . had a heart condition . . . and a Medigap plan. During AEP I reviewed his PDP options and sent a printout showing his current plan and the one suggested . . . he wanted to look over it and let me know in a few days (Dec 7 was a couple of days away).

I tried to get him before the deadline but we never connected until it was too late to change.

He called in January, pissed at me for changing his Medigap plan. Huh??

Turns out he decided to enroll himself . . . direct . . . in a MAPD HMO. His doctors were not in the network so he was stuck.

And just like that, examples magically appear . . . how did you do that?

Yet they want agent to tell people to go to medicare.gov and sign themselves up

I have talked to a few over the years that bought MA only policy not realizing what they did, By doing it that way

and now have drug penalties[/QUOTE]

I had a guy several years ago . . . had a heart condition . . . and a Medigap plan. During AEP I reviewed his PDP options and sent a printout showing his current plan and the one suggested . . . he wanted to look over it and let me know in a few days (Dec 7 was a couple of days away).

I tried to get him before the deadline but we never connected until it was too late to change.

He called in January, pissed at me for changing his Medigap plan. Huh??

Turns out he decided to enroll himself . . . direct . . . in a MAPD HMO. His doctors were not in the network so he was stuck.[/QUOTE]
That turned out weird. I'm not the one that said that quote, but I'm the one that postaed the link. :laugh:

If by normally you mean geting a Nov. 1 start date that's true. But she was trying for a Jan. 1 start date that she had no ability to get no matter when she enrolled, normally or delayed.

Because of the rules regarding delayed enrollment no one can get an effective date two months after their 65th birth month no matter how well they time their enrollment. Any other month was available to her, either IEP or SEP, except January, depending on when she enrolled, assuming she was not born on the first day of the month.
  • 11/1 Part B start date if she had enrolled prior to her Nov birth month.
  • 12/1 Part B start date if she enrolled during her Nov birth month.
  • 1/1 Part B start date is not an option for anyone turning 65 in Nov (other than 11/1) no matter when or how the enrollment was submitted
  • 2/1 Part B start date if she enrolled in Dec, one month after her 65th birth month, which is what she did.
I wish they had examples on the Medicare website to more fully explain how this sign up process works. Instead we all have to fumble through it like amateurs.[/QUOTE]

You old guys resurrecting years old threads crack me up.

I wish they had examples on the Medicare website to more fully explain how this sign up process works. Instead we all have to fumble through it like amateurs.

You old guys resurrecting years old threads crack me up.[/QUOTE]
The question just came up for me and this is the thread that came up when I did a search. Glad to have made your day. Just because it's an old thread doesn't make it any less relevant. If they had an example on the Medicare website, I wouldn't have had to come here.

You old guys resurrecting years old threads crack me up.
The question just came up for me and this is the thread that came up when I did a search. Glad to have made your day. Just because it's an old thread doesn't make it any less relevant. If they had an example on the Medicare website, I wouldn't have had to come here.[/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They do.
When does Medicare coverage start? | Medicare

Also, we can expect changes to the Original Medicare IEP so there won't be that 2-month, 3-month wait crap. After those 3 months before 65, it'll start the first of the following month. No word on if IEP will always trump an SEP, but seeing how that wasn't in the legislation, I guess that'll stay the same.

Back