Medicare Part B premium, how to pay monthly?

Actually you can pay monthly by check and a have a few clients who do by making two copies of the quarterly invoice and paying a third each month by sending in the invoice and a check. I did misread that "the only way" part of the OP post, as drafting is not the only way.

I called Medicare yesterday after posting this thread. They told me the same thing.
Customer can pay monthly by check (Medicare does not make that clear enough for these people), just send a copy of the invoice with the monthly payment.

It is good to know for people in the gray area between medicaid and non-medicaid, and refuse to do auto draft.

I called Medicare yesterday after posting this thread. They told me the same thing.
Customer can pay monthly by check (Medicare does not make that clear enough for these people), just send a copy of the invoice with the monthly payment.

It is good to know for people in the gray area between medicaid and non-medicaid, and refuse to do auto draft.

I wish they would put that in writing. I do know that when they get a quarterly bill, it says right on the bill, “do not send partial payment. Partial payment may cause you to lose Medicare”. Something like that.

Knowing my luck, I’ll tell someone to pay partial monthly, and they’ll lose Medicare if that 3rd month payment is paid past the 25th

I wish they would put that in writing. I do know that when they get a quarterly bill, it says right on the bill, “do not send partial payment. Partial payment may cause you to lose Medicare”. Something like that.

Knowing my luck, I’ll tell someone to pay partial monthly, and they’ll lose Medicare if that 3rd month payment is paid past the 25th
The invoice does ask for full payment. However, the only reference to partial payment is a warning that if the invoice is stamped “delinquent” making a partial payment may not prevent loss of coverage, only full payment will. After no payment on first bill they get a second bill the next month, then a delinquent notice the following month, so they would have to be pretty late before a partial payment would create a cancellation risk.

It’s a risk not that different than those who insist on paying med supp premiums by check rather than draft if they get behind on payments, though loss of Part B obviously has more serious consequences.

Yeah, I wouldn't normally risk that either.

Back