Medicare Part D Late Enrollment Penalty

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I have a client that had wellcare last year and I switched him to United for Jan 1 enrollment date.

Wellcare DID NOT send him a bill for CMS late enrollment, but now United is asking for $35 a year. Could this be a mistake and why did Wellcare also not ask to collect the penalty? Client is pissed, but I am trying to explain that its CMS and not United...

Thanks

So the LEP is $2.90/month? How was he paying Wellcare -- SSA deductions? He might not have even noticed. Was there a gap between Wellcare and United? He can try to provide creditable coverage information to Wellcare, but more than likely he'll have to appeal to the CMS contractor.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I have a client that had wellcare last year and I switched him to United for Jan 1 enrollment date.

Wellcare DID NOT send him a bill for CMS late enrollment, but now United is asking for $35 a year. Could this be a mistake and why did Wellcare also not ask to collect the penalty? Client is pissed, but I am trying to explain that its CMS and not United...

Thanks

They should have sent a letter explaining where the penalty came from. He may have to submit proof that he had coverage during the 9 or so months that they don't have evidence of. As for why Wellcare wasn't charging it - either the client appealed successfully before or CMS didn't catch it before.

So the LEP is $2.90/month? How was he paying Wellcare -- SSA deductions? He might not have even noticed. Was there a gap between Wellcare and United? He can try to provide creditable coverage information to Wellcare, but more than likely he'll have to appeal to the CMS contractor.

Call Medicare directly?

The client has been calling me every day and I am about to cut him off...he enrolled in a part d plan late, nothing myself or united can do.

It's probably pretty easy and was already answered.

When he had Wellcare the agent checked the box that said, "deduct any premiums out of SS check" It sounds like you either checked the coupon booklet box or checked nothing at all. Which would make it automatically send out a coupon booklet.

He can't change that until next year btw

If he's not getting a coupon booklet now and he's just saying that now because he saw the letter, let him know he was always paying that penalty.
He can call Medicare to confirm.

Back