Medicare Special Needs Plans

IndividualHealthGuy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Does anybody have any info on the Medicare Advantage Plans that are advertised as Special Needs Plans? I ran across a lady who has Medicare due to disability, and is also bipolar, so she appears to qualify. I've never really worked in advantage plans before, so if there is a MO agent that wants this one, please let me know. I was curious if there were any thoughts on them, however.

I wouldn't say I am expert at SNPs, but I don't think bipolar is going to quality. Most of them are for things like diabetes, congestive heart failure, etc.

But, good luck.

In TN, anyone that has medicare for disability is eligible for a MA plan.

I assume most other states are the same.

Special Needs Plans come in two flavors:

1) Specific Chronic Diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, etc.

2) Dual Eligible - having both Medicare and Medicaid.

Rick

I am located in MO and sell Special Needs Plans. Unless the lady has diabetes or congestive heart failure she will not qualify. She can qualify for a special needs dual eligible by having both Medicare and full Medicaid.

Hope this helps.

Just curious, why are you asking about special needs plans? I want to make sure you are asking the right question.

Dan

I'm only asking because that's what she said she wanted. I used to train standard Medicare, Part D and med supp all the time, and I never had any experience at all with the SNPs. If it was a better option for this person, I was going to pass them off to someone who knows that part of the biz.

I'm not the expert here, but I would find out why she thinks she wants a special needs program. There may be a good reason, but in general, I think the single biggest advantage is the special enrollment period, which if she is just starting medicare, is a mute point.

It may be a bad case of she heard a term and thinks she gets something.

Dan

I'm not the expert here, but I would find out why she thinks she wants a special needs program. There may be a good reason, but in general, I think the single biggest advantage is the special enrollment period, which if she is just starting medicare, is a mute point.

It may be a bad case of she heard a term and thinks she gets something.

Dan

That would be moot point.

But you are correct. If she's just started to receive Medicare, there may not be a need for a SNP.

The companies will tell you that the chronice illness SNP plans provide more specific coverage, but I just don't see the need except for the opportunity of an SEP.

The dual SNP plans can be a great benefit as some of them include a very good dental, hearing, transportation, and vision benefit.

Rick

Back