Medicare Supplements Vs. Medicare Advantage

^you are right I would write them evercare for low income but I was just trying to give an example.....or I could say someone making $1k month and every cent is currently paying the bills. It wouldn't be smart to put them in a monthly plan when my MAPD is free

If they are making only $1000 per month, they would be SLMB or QI-1 and qualify for help on their PDP. It would be a dis-service to put those people into an MAPD. That's the stuff Humana would do.

I'm sorry, some of what you are saying is a bit over my head... I'm not out to "schister" anyone. That's not who I am or what I'm about! What I have been selling is Highmark PPO or PFFS (HMO is not available through Highmark in my area)... New ERA Medicare Supp Plan C... as I have said, so far, I've had no issues or complaints! I personally haven't dealt with anyone YET that qualify for LIS.

A few short months is all I've gotten under my belt, I ask guidence... not a bang on the head before I even get good and started!

Of course, the duals I've written have been in a SNP for duals, which I still consider MAPD. I don't know about state by state, but in Alabama, it's illegal to enroll someone who is on medicaid into a med supp. I do my due dilligence even more than I may need to because I'm not going to leave my neck out there for somebody to go after.

There are a lot of good responses here, and I think that there's no right or wrong answer to your question. I think that jdeasy definitely knows what he's talking about, because I've talked to him before about all this.

Your question, overall, is sort of like asking "which is better - term life or whole life?". There are so many different situations that it just depends.

You're definitely doing the right thing, Jessica, by preparing and positioning yourself as an expert to do right by your prospects. Each carrier should have some specific training which will give you a lot of answers. United Healhcare actually has some really good, really professional training on medicare in general, med supps, and MA. I don't know if they get into a lot of the LIS levels and SNPs and medicaid, at least not in the module I did, but it'll be somewhere. LIC levels/levels of subsidy can be confusing as heck until you have that "aha" moment, but you've GOT to know that stuff, unless you really want to mess somebody up.

Keep on going though, you have a great attitude and are on the right track!!

Thank you! I have lots of plans, I've contacted all of our Senior Centers in about 5 or 6 different towns around here, each of them has agreed to letting me come in and sharing "free" information! I've attended several different Senior Bazaars/Expo's, and have gotten tons of folks that want me to call them and get a hold of them come AEP... I'm excited about the prospects! Because I know pretty soon, it'll all come together for me and I'll get that moment like you were describing that "aha" moment!!!

Thank you! I have lots of plans, I've contacted all of our Senior Centers in about 5 or 6 different towns around here, each of them has agreed to letting me come in and sharing "free" information! I've attended several different Senior Bazaars/Expo's, and have gotten tons of folks that want me to call them and get a hold of them come AEP... I'm excited about the prospects! Because I know pretty soon, it'll all come together for me and I'll get that moment like you were describing that "aha" moment!!!
I know that you're probably already doing this, but just make sure that you're following the CMS guidelines if this if for medicare advantage.

If you're talking about plan specifics, you have to register that on the CMS calendar as a sales event, and there may be secret shoppers there. There are some specific things that you need to say at the beginning of the presentation, and if anyone walks in late, say it again. Make sure that you have a CMS approved scope of appointment form if you can enroll people at the event, or a CMS approved permission to contact form.

If it's an educational event, you're VERY limited in what you can do, and a secret shopper can still be there.

If you have food there, be sure that it's only from the "approved" food lists on CMS' website.
If you're doing it at a senior center around a meal time, be VERY careful in not being there when food is present.

You see why people say medicare advantage is such a pain??

In rural areas you probably would be doing better to offer a Med Supp because the providers in an MA may be scarce. I am not familiar with the Highmark network. In the metropolitan area of Philadelphia, MAs were a slam dunk, but with the new enrollment period coming up both Independence Blue Cross and Aetna are pulling in their horns. Both are eliminating their Dual Medicare/Medicaid Advantage Plans, eliminating the zero premium MA plans, and increasing the premiums on their other MA plans. Bravo is moving in to pick up the slack; however, their provider network is limited. CIGNA is moving in, also, but they do not offer a zero premium plan.

Of course, selling MAs sounds tedious with all the restrictions imposed by CMS which is why I am not active in the senior market. Until now, it has been difficult to sell Med Supps here with the competion from the MAs. The climate is changing...rapidly in this area.

Good luck. BTW the suggestion by Rick to contact Ritter is an excellent one.

Yea, I do my best to follow the rules and regulations of CMS, I finished up my trainings for the CMS about 3 weeks ago, for 2010. My plans are to discuss the differences in a PPO, HMO, and PFFS plan! NOT differences in what's covered and the prices of things (if they start asking more detailed quesitons, I can go ahead and have everyone fill out SOA forms).... I'll have to double check that before actually doing it! In the past, at the bazaars/expo's... I've taken a plate full of homemade cookies, which are OK!

I saw the suggestion from Rick, and I tried to thank him, but for some reason I couldn't submit 2 posts at the same time ... ??? I don't know! But I deal with www.nimbroker.com (National Insurance Markets, Inc. That is who my boss, Dan Williams has dealt with for years. But Monday am, I will make mention of Ritter and get his take on it.

Yea, I do my best to follow the rules and regulations of CMS, I finished up my trainings for the CMS about 3 weeks ago, for 2010. My plans are to discuss the differences in a PPO, HMO, and PFFS plan! NOT differences in what's covered and the prices of things (if they start asking more detailed quesitons, I can go ahead and have everyone fill out SOA forms).... I'll have to double check that before actually doing it! In the past, at the bazaars/expo's... I've taken a plate full of homemade cookies, which are OK!

I saw the suggestion from Rick, and I tried to thank him, but for some reason I couldn't submit 2 posts at the same time ... ??? I don't know! But I deal with www.nimbroker.com (National Insurance Markets, Inc. That is who my boss, Dan Williams has dealt with for years. But Monday am, I will make mention of Ritter and get his take on it.
Do make sure you double check that. From the way you're putting it (talking about the difference in HMO/PFFS/PPO with no plan specific information is an educational event. As I understand it, you CANNOT get a scope of appt at an educational event.

11/14/2008 New MIPPA guidelines summarized
Sales/marketing at educational events
Agents may not conduct sales activities at educational events. This prohibition includes distributing marketing materials and the distribution or collection of enrollment applications. An event is educational if it is advertised as such. If the event is not advertised as educational Plans may conduct sales activities.

Plans and agents may:
  • Distribute educational materials (Materials must be free of Plan-specific information and any bias towards one plan type over another.)
  • Display a banner with the Plan name and/or logo
  • Distribute promotional items, including those with Plan name, logo and toll-free customer service number and/or Web site (Promotional items must be free of benefit information.)
  • Distribute a business card if the beneficiary requests information on how to contact the agent (The business card must be free of plan marketing or benefit information.)
Plans and agents may NOT:
  • Discuss Plan-specific premiums and/or benefits
  • Distribute or display BRCs, Scope of Appointment forms, or sign-up sheets
  • Set up personal sales appointments or get permission for an outbound call to the beneficiary
  • Attach business cards or Plan/agent contact information to educational materials
Personally, I would NEVER do an educational event. What's the point? You can do it as a sales event and put it on the CMS calendar, and talk plan specifics and get scopes. You just have to make sure there are some things you say about networks, forumlaries, etc, and address questions somehow (a good way to do that is to say "I know that there may be some questions, but each of you will have a unique situation. Questions may be handled better in a more private setting, and you can fill out a permission to contact form that will let me give you all the time you need to ask specific questions).

The only way I can see an educational event being beneficial is with a captive sales force that is simply trying to build their company's brand. For the independent agent, I can't see it being worthwhile, especially if much cost is involved in putting on the event.

If possible it may be useful to do events like these at senior centers and other places where the management may be receptive to educational events but not receptive toward sales meetings. This is an activity that may be a good idea for some MA agents to do during lock-in. Since telemarketing is now prohibited for MA/PDP, I would think that some companies are using the educational events as a way to simply get in front of people they otherwise might not be able to reach except through direct mail or TV ads.

Tom Highway is correct. My understanding is that you cannot get SoA or permission to call at an educational event. If you give them your card the prospect has to call you.

My understanding is that unless the event is advertised as an educational event, it can be a marketing event, even if your primary purpose for the meeting is to educate. The catch phrase is that you can educate at a marketing event but you cannot market at an educational event.

If there is still some confusion, then it's best to review the CMS and carrier requirements again. There will be increased CMS efforts with secret or mystery shoppers this year (including at home appts.) and at least some carriers will have their own secret shoppers out there as well.

Last edited:
Back