Memorial Day 2017 We Do Not Forget.

WinoBlues

Guru
5000 Post Club
Yeah, I know. you are tired of me posting about War. I am tired of War. But we are still at War!

3115931.jpg

----------

Yeah, I know. you are tired of me posting about War. I am tired of War. But we are still at War!

Not a Holiday to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never understood the greeting. "HAPPY Memorial day." :no:

Americans don't do depressing holidays.

And if you can celebrate Easter, you can celebrate Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.

Someone died to make your life better. Do you go home and cry about it or do you enjoy the life they gave you? I know my answer and I know what the veterans in our family did on these two holidays as well.

Remember what they did for you and celebrate life.

And if you can celebrate Easter, you can celebrate Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.

Someone died to make your life better. Do you go home and cry about it or do you enjoy the life they gave you? I know my answer and I know what the veterans in our family did on these two holidays as well.

You can certainly say "Happy Easter" and it be totally appropriate... To the Christian, Easter is a celebration of life not death since it represents the day Christ arose from the grave. However, I have never heard anyone say Happy Good Friday, which represents the day he died.

I do think we should be appreciative of the sacrifice made and the freedom we have but I think the occasion should include a few moments of solemnity. Most people today are only interested in the "celebration" and the paid holiday and give no thought at all to what the day is all about.

As for Veteran's Day, that isn't just about those that died. I celebrate the fact that a lot of my friends managed to survive. But, in any case, I am thankful to all, living or dead.

I do not completely disagree.

I have many relatives that are Veterans and AD as well. I am, as you know, around a lot of Veterans a lot of the time. We get the "yeah, thanks, now pass the hotdogs" stuff a lot. A lot of people see our flag and understand that it is the national symbol but they do not see it through the same eyes as we see it.

Many if not most Vets I know will be having food and drink on Memorial Day, But most will understand the day in their heart. I will be doing Memorial Day observance in the AM then one of the Post are providing a Keg of beer to Vets and we will provide the food in the afternoon. So will we be weeping all day? no. Will there be a tear or two when the Bugler plays Taps? Maybe. We know what it means.

So no, Memorial day is not a holiday to me. We will observe the day. Feel thanks for the sacrifice that 2% of the Nation makes, Then have beers and food.

PS... Veterans day and Memorial day are not the same. I celebrate Veterans day.

I have many relatives that are Veterans and AD as well. I am, as you know, around a lot of Veterans a lot of the time. We get the "yeah, thanks, now pass the hotdogs" stuff a lot. A lot of people see our flag and understand that it is the national symbol but they do not see it through the same eyes as we see it.

Many if not most Vets I know will be having food and drink on Memorial Day, But most will understand the day in their heart. I will be doing Memorial Day observance in the AM then one of the Post are providing a Keg of beer to Vets and we will provide the food in the afternoon. So will we be weeping all day? no. Will there be a tear or two when the Bugler plays Taps? Maybe. We know what it means.

So no, Memorial day is not a holiday to me. We will observe the day. Feel thanks for the sacrifice that 2% of the Nation makes, Then have beers and food.

A young navy corpsman just shared these "rules" with me. Don't expect everyone to agree but they kind of strike home with me.

Here's some ground rules for next weekend:

1. Don't wish me a Happy Memorial day. There is nothing happy about brave men and women dying.

2. It's not a holiday. It's a remembrance.

3. If you want to know the true meaning, visit Arlington or your local VA, not freaking Disneyland.

4. Don't tell me how great any one political power is. Tell me about Chesty Puller, George Patton, John Basilone, Dakota Meyer, Kyle Carpenter, Mitchell Paige, Ira Hayes, Chris Kyle and any other heroes too numerous to name. Attend a Bell Ceremony and shed some tears.

5. Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I have carried the burden all too many times for my warriors who now stand their post for God.

6. Say a prayer... and then another.

7. Remember the Fallen for all the Good they did while they were here.

8. Reach out and let a Vet know you're there, we're losing too many in "peace".

The interesting thing is, Memorial Day is celebrated much more than Veteran's Day. You can blame Congress for this. Now, I do not know if Memorial Day was moved, but a number of years ago Congress moved most Federal Holidays to Monday so that Federal employees could have 3 day weekends. Veteran's Day was not moved, so it can occur on any day of the week and is buried in the middle of November (and yes I know why 11/11, that date is special). Yet Memorial Day is always the last Monday in May and unofficially starts summer.

A young navy corpsman just shared these "rules" with me. Don't expect everyone to agree but they kind of strike home with me.

Here's some ground rules for next weekend:

1. Don't wish me a Happy Memorial day. There is nothing happy about brave men and women dying.

2. It's not a holiday. It's a remembrance.

3. If you want to know the true meaning, visit Arlington or your local VA, not freaking Disneyland.

4. Don't tell me how great any one political power is. Tell me about Chesty Puller, George Patton, John Basilone, Dakota Meyer, Kyle Carpenter, Mitchell Paige, Ira Hayes, Chris Kyle and any other heroes too numerous to name. Attend a Bell Ceremony and shed some tears.

5. Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I have carried the burden all too many times for my warriors who now stand their post for God.

6. Say a prayer... and then another.

7. Remember the Fallen for all the Good they did while they were here.

8. Reach out and let a Vet know you're there, we're losing too many in "peace".

I have seen this floating around Facebook. I do not recall it being attributed to anyone in particular. To me it is rather sanctimonious and I question if a veteran or active service member actually wrote it.

The interesting thing is, Memorial Day is celebrated much more than Veteran's Day. You can blame Congress for this. Now, I do not know if Memorial Day was moved, but a number of years ago Congress moved most Federal Holidays to Monday so that Federal employees could have 3 day weekends. Veteran's Day was not moved, so it can occur on any day of the week and is buried in the middle of November (and yes I know why 11/11, that date is special). Yet Memorial Day is always the last Monday in May and unofficially starts summer.

I have seen this floating around Facebook. I do not recall it being attributed to anyone in particular. To me it is rather sanctimonious and I question if a veteran or active service member actually wrote it.

Have no idea who wrote it but as I said it was an active duty member that shared it with me.

Back