Moonlighting

NotASockPuppet

Hey yall,
I'm a newer producer in a captive agency focused on P&C. I am licensed in Life and Health as well, so I've been looking at some IMOs/GAs to work with to develop those skills.

My producer agreement carries a non-compete clause, so I assume that if I write business through another company that I'll get canned.

How would they know, though? What's the worst that could happen if wrote some life policies over here while selling home and auto over there?

If you appoint by yourself, NIPR and SCC will be easy to see extra appointments. If you go through a broker, you should be okay but make sure you are not selling competing products.
I was captive at 1 time for a p&c agency. I was appointed to sell Med Supps through a broker. The appointment did not show for my license and I used my MedSupp apps to sell p&c, p&c ro sell medsupps. Agency was aware and approved.

What's the worst that could happen

The worst thing i can dream up is that the Agency principal gets unhinged & turns you into a human sock puppet.

That woukd be the absolute worst, at least to me, especially after you ironically went on the interwebs & declared yourself to not be a sock puppet. How crazy & ironic would that be?

Then there's the potential termination for cause title which will have to be explained on most if not all carrier apps.

Always abide by your contracts the best you can.

Hey yall,
I'm a newer producer in a captive agency focused on P&C. I am licensed in Life and Health as well, so I've been looking at some IMOs/GAs to work with to develop those skills.

My producer agreement carries a non-compete clause, so I assume that if I write business through another company that I'll get canned.

How would they know, though? What's the worst that could happen if wrote some life policies over here while selling home and auto over there?
Why would you want to sneak around behind their back? Just use your good ethics and just find a place that fits what you wanna do better and give proper notice to the place you’ve been working with and make the move.
Or you might even be able to tell them what you’re thinking and they may give you their blessing to sell non-competing products through other channels as long as you’re hitting your quotas with them also.
But sneaking around in the shadows is never going to be the right choice.
You are never gonna get ahead in life by trying to sneak around and hope that people don’t find out what you’re really up to. That’s a losers way of going about your life. Choose to be an upfront, honest, ethical person, and you will go far. And you will feel much better about yourself, and people will be able to see that in you.

Last edited:
Back