More insurance brokers would choose traditional Medicare over Medicare Advantage: Report

What type of Medicare would you choose for yourself?

• Original Medicare with Medigap / PDP

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Medicare Advantage (MAPD)

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You don’t think all these people stuck on F Plans are going to get priced out since noone new can go on an F Plan and more and more are getting off to go to MA? These are closed blocks of business anyway and already go up every year. Had a client on Bankers Fidelity F that went up 100.00/month in 2 years. That’s real money.
Some do get stuck. Move them.

And what about the plan G's that only went up a few bucks a month. Scrap all of them too?

For those of us that prefer OM we can say this: 80 + 20 = 100

You MAOs can't say that.

Some do get stuck. Move them.

And what about the plan G's that only went up a few bucks a month. Scrap all of them too?

For those of us that prefer OM we can say this: 80 + 20 = 100

You MAOs can't say that.

Where you gonna move em when they have diabetes, cancer, or any of the other 18 health questions? I had to ask those 18 health questions and list prescriptions and Drs etc once this year. Needless to say they didn’t qualify. So G plans are lining up wanting all these unhealthy F plan clients?

Where you gonna move em when they have diabetes, cancer, or any of the other 18 health questions? I had to ask those 18 health questions and list prescriptions and Drs etc once this year. Needless to say they didn’t qualify. So G plans are lining up wanting all these unhealthy F plan clients?
Obviously there's only place, an Mapd.

Original Medicare & HDG Plan - Ded $2800 for 2024 + Part B Ded
$42 per mo plus they pay my gym membership & I recover $20 per mo in comissions.
I can live with that....

Original Medicare & HDG Plan - Ded $2800 for 2024 + Part B Ded
$42 per mo plus they pay my gym membership & I recover $20 per mo in commissions.
I can live with that....

UHC ( I assume because of the gym thing) pays $20/month on HDG? Honest question as I've never written one. But I'll be buying one in 3 years.

@rmhaire

Phoebe Putney prior authorization . . .

I. Financial Expectations
Consistent with this Policy and the Financial Assistance Policy, PPHS hospitals will clearly communicate
with patients regarding financial expectations as early in the appointment and billing process as possible.
Patients are responsible for understanding their insurance coverage and for providing needed
documentation to aid in the insurance collection process.
• Patients may be required to pay a pre-service deposit or estimated co-pays and deductibles prior
to services
(except in the Emergency Department and other emergent situations) or amounts may
be collected after services are provided, based on the current business practices of individual
PPHS sites.
• Patients are generally responsible for paying self-pay balances, including any amounts not paid
by insurance companies or applicable third party payers.
• If the patient has a previous bad debt or outstanding balance, PPHS hospitals may request
amounts owed or a payment plan commitment with an initial payment before future appointments
for non-emergency services are granted. If arrangements cannot be made for resolving the
patient’s outstanding balance, future non-emergency care may be limited or denied, if clinically
appropriate after discussion with the treating physician. Pre-service deposits may be required for
non-emergency services.
II. Pre-service Financial Clearance

A. Elective Patients
1. Insurance is verified by Pre-Registration/Insurance Verification team.
2. Any patient liability (deductible, co-insurance, co-pay) is determined and recorded in Account
Notes and in the online eligibility system.
3. Pre-Registration will notify the patient of the estimated out of pocket cost, as recorded in
account notes, and request payment due. Collection attempts will be made and information
provided on uninsured discounts, prompt pay discounts, payment plans and financial
assistance.
4. If an uninsured patient is admitted into a PPHS hospital, a representative acting on behalf of
PPHS will visit the patient. This representative will educate the patient concerning discounts,
payment plans and financial assistance. This representative may make referrals to the
following agencies for potential Medicaid eligibility:

https://www.phoebehealth.com/media/file/BillPay/PPHS_BillingCollections_policy.pdf

Here's my new motto: "If you can't afford mayo, you ain't going to Mayo." An MA suits most such cases just fine. Most insurance brokers who actually make a living in this business aren't in that category.

If I had to choose today, I'd go with the Medigap. But I also know that at the end of the day, going that route might actually be more expensive in the long run. To me, access to care is the #1 reason to go with Original Medicare.

If somebody is looking mostly at cost, going with Medigap first and then switching to MA when Medigap premiums become unaffordable may be the worst way to go. For a lot of people, paying low or no premium and banking the difference would have been better than paying premiums during earlier (and typically healthier) years and then paying OOP costs under MA later on if and when their health declines. It is probably best to pick one lane and stay in it.

Back