Most interesting objection for the day...

Just had a lady inform me that she had just filled out paperwork to donate her body to science. Very pleasant woman who was very willing to chat about it. Seems this company will pay all expenses related to pick up from hospital, use your body for teaching, then cremate and return remains to your family. I have to admit, this is one that I've never heard before.

In 2019, had a sit down with an estranged husband who paid for a policy on his wife while I sold her one for herself. She passed, and her body was passed on to science. By the time we met to fill out paper work on the policy he had, the remains had been returned to the husband. He opened up the container to show me. (I did not ask to see, he just showed me.)

Very strange to have someone's ashes in your hands (a bit like gravel to be honest). The remains had been sealed in a clear plastic bag. That was a very odd place to be at the moment.

Worth repeating, that was a very odd place to be at the moment. Wow, just reading what I wrote seems odd and strange.

Note: the original plan was not to sent to science, but when family is calling the shots, you get shipped wherever they address the body to. :yes:

No cash payment to family, but all cremation paid. I asked her if she wanted to leave anything additional to the family and she said she had already taken care of that with some $ she had put away... Oddly enough she was the most cheery, upbeat person I've talked to in a long time..

Incredible... someone who knows exactly how much it's going to cost when she passes. :no:

She just plans on expiring and "poof" in a pot!

"Mildred, its not just the cost of cremation you need to protect your family from, you have taken care of that already, it's all the hidden cost that come up. Do you think you could name a few of the hidden cost your family would have to pay at our passing?"

Then SILENCE! Look at Mildred with all the concern and kindness you can muster, and listen. If she can't or won't look at reality, then and only then do you start painting the rest of the picture.

Just a suggestion... cause if all Mildred wants to do is talk and not dance, then you need to tell her the girl down the street is waiting and the music is playing. :yes:

The main thing with body donation for free cremation is it is "not guaranteed" you can sign up in advance but there are valid reasons why body might not be accepted at the time of death. It is worth asking what the back up plan is and since they won't have one suggest your solution and see what happens. It seldom works as most donate to science peeps slightly neurotic then again that is what I thought about cremations peeps 30 years ago and now I'm one of them.

Back