Moving abroad as a life/DI agent

Hey, first post here. I have been selling life/DI/group for a bunch of years and have thankfully built up a very good practice for myself at Mass Mutual/Guardian Life/NYL (for anonymity). My renewals are stacking and I’m happy with the money I’m making and I see a long career there. My spouse and young kids and I are strongly considering moving abroad permanently to a different country where we have most of our family and are just dying to live. I work completely remotely (clients over the phone and Zoom), and only see colleagues once a year at the annual dinner. I am a painfully honest person in my career. The idea of continuing my career from abroad with a stable American income without telling anyone in my company is very tempting (and guilt inducing). I am under the impression that an agent has to sign life/DI applications from the US, correct? Would compliance look at my IP address/I could get a VPN? Have another agent sign the applications from their account and have us as joint on everything (this would be challenging). Any other ideas to keep these two dreams?

If you have a captive contract, you need to check with compliance.

What the state DOI says and what a captive compliance dept say can be very different.

If you are an independent broker on all your contracts, you are free to move abroad and keep your resident license as DHK described.

Reactions: DHK
The amazing thing here is that we are having this conversation... "lifestyle second to none" is a phrase sometimes used.

Just the fact you can entertain the option is incredible and foreign in most other professions, unheard of in most jobs.

I unashamedly tout the benefits of a capitalism for offering such benefits as this. Proud American here.

Found this in the compliance guide:

1.2. Foreign Sales/Transactions

The Company is licensed to do business only in the 50 United States. The Company is not licensed in Puerto Rico or other U.S. Territories. Company FRs are prohibited from soliciting, selling, negotiating (including in person, by mail, email, telephone or fax) in foreign jurisdictions even if a client is a U.S. citizen living abroad. Insurance regulations take a broad view of selling, soliciting, and negotiating. Company FRs should be diligent when dealing with clients who live or travel abroad and not engage in activity (sales, solicitation and/or negotiation) that would violate U.S. or foreign insurance laws. For these purposes, U.S. Embassies and U.S. Consulates on foreign soil are not considered part of the United States. FRs may not utilize assistants, support staff or other administrative resources in any location in which The Company is not licensed to conduct business.

Found this in the compliance guide:

1.2. Foreign Sales/Transactions

The Company is licensed to do business only in the 50 United States. The Company is not licensed in Puerto Rico or other U.S. Territories. Company FRs are prohibited from soliciting, selling, negotiating (including in person, by mail, email, telephone or fax) in foreign jurisdictions even if a client is a U.S. citizen living abroad. Insurance regulations take a broad view of selling, soliciting, and negotiating. Company FRs should be diligent when dealing with clients who live or travel abroad and not engage in activity (sales, solicitation and/or negotiation) that would violate U.S. or foreign insurance laws. For these purposes, U.S. Embassies and U.S. Consulates on foreign soil are not considered part of the United States. FRs may not utilize assistants, support staff or other administrative resources in any location in which The Company is not licensed to conduct business.

That had nothing to do with your question.

Your question was (essentially) "Can I continue to sell and service my prospects and clients in the states I am licensed to do business in, regardless of my location around the world?"

That compliance excerpt was about soliciting business outside the country and working with global citizens (foreign nationals).

Right, that's what I thought as well- the only ambiguous piece regarding my question to me was "Company FRs are prohibited from soliciting, selling, negotiating (including in person, by mail, email, telephone or fax) in foreign jurisdictions..."

You just come off as emotionally unregulated.

You come off as ethically unregulated.

Food for thought.

As long as the insurance company knows that I'm not trying to intentionally skirt any insurance regulations and be in compliance with the law, it should all be fine.
She's not planning to tell them but rather to try to lie to them and dodge the truth with a VPN, etc.

But of course, she's not actually going to do this, she's just contemplating it...(wink, wink)

If you deal with Mass, Guardian and NYL, I would contact their compliance departments and say it is something I am considering down the road.
Or have your wholesaler do it without using your name.
You will probably get three different answers.
I live in a foreign country, what little business I do is done when I am back in the states.

I am currently in Thailand moving around in South East Asia. I travel when there is a large annuity sale because it is much easier to close in person. Besides my plane ticket is tax deductible. I have been doing this for the last 4 years. There are no issues with RIA's either. You can manage money from overseas. USA does not have restrictions for residency if you are series 65 licensed. If you manage money in the USA for non residents/foreigners then there are regulatory requirements around money laundering. There are actually quite of few RIA's in the Caribbean Islands. 2 States FL and CA require fingerprinting to sell life and annuity as non resident so make sure you get these done as this can not be done overseas. Also your own driver license make sure it is renewed before moving over. Some states require driver license renewal in person. If you let your driver license lapse, life companies can flag this as they can not verify your identity at renewal. I am back to USA around April depending on the temperature. I have not seen snow in 3 years so I am playing it safe.

Back