My car was totaled out - Only had liability

Nate417

I was involved in an accident on 5/01/19 with two other cars. A drunk driver passed out and hit a truck at about 60 MPH and shoved the truck into me. I have liability only, the drunk driver in the rear had liability only with $10,000 max damage payout. The drunk driver was responsible for the truck damage and also my damage. I checked book value of the truck $7600 and my car was $4300. The drunk drivers insurance is USAA and they told me they would have to wait until the truck was sold at insurance auction and the drivers insurance company let them know what was owed after salvage price was deducted. USAA also said I wouldn't get full value for the car since there was only $10k coverage split between the two vehicles and I might see around $4000. The truck had full coverage and was paid out to the customer almost immediately. I kept calling USAA for 3 months and they keep telling me the truck wasn't sold yet so they can't do anything. So I called the truck insurance company (State Farm) and find out that it was sold the 24th of July and they owed State farm $7257 after salvage was removed. I called USAA and pretty much told them I did their job and they needed to get a hold of State farm and get this claim rolling. They actually did and had a settlement in my Email within 2 days. The offer was for $3277.... So I'm calling up and refusing the offer and demanding the numbers they figured to pay out. Sounds to me like they paid State farm a bigger percentage.

What do you think I should do? Any advice?

USAA said you might see around $4000. they have offered you 3277. Find comparable sold prices, not FOR SALE vehicles, and give them that information to see if they will increase the offer. Hope you did not and do not have any medical issues from the accideent. it is a shame but the truck insurance carrier owes you nothing, it is all on the guy who caused the accident and his property coverage is low

Back