My First 3 Months in the Business

If I was only closing 1 out of 20 health leads I'd be broke real quick....maybe I'm lucky, or good, but I usually average 1 out of every 8-10 shared leads. Can't imagine people closing 1 out of 20 on the new reduced commissions and sticking around for more than a couple months.

well said... playing the tune from Queen...(i think)...another one bites the dust... keep falling guys...

I guess I am a below average salesperson.

BUT.... Here is what I do know; I work for someone who made about $800,000 last year selling mostly health insurance. Half of his business is small group and half is individual. He has been in business over 20 years selling almost exclusively health insurance. I'm going to go by what my employers say and the people they contact regarding my performance. Thanks to all for the constructive input. I will give a final tally of my performance when I leave this position. AND........

Catastrophics is not a word.

I guess I am a below average salesperson.

BUT.... Here is what I do know; I work for someone who made about $800,000 last year selling mostly health insurance.

Well you should take notes from your employer he is one hell of a salesman! If he "made" 800k I would be shocked. Is this what his agency took in before he paid his staff and expenses? If he made 800k I want to know what his walk away number is...

No. His gross is right now at 730K. There was low production the first 4 months of the year and it looks like there will be a large group we will be getting and a small group we just closed with 35 lives. These are not included. We also have a good number of individual applications pending currently. We have a staff of 5-7 people total, depending. It's many years doing this one thing, community involvement, tons of referrals, getting in very early on the web, trying new stuff all the time, spending money on marketing, thousands of calls, being shrewd about buying existing books that are for sale. Our business is transparent, I know what we do, our history, we track it, and analyze. It's competitive. This is how I know most of the claims here are either not true or more importantly in no way sustainable over any length of time or in any volume. I have a better understanding of this now.

Someone who closes 1/8, (if that is even true given the way we track this), and orders 100 leads a week would be one of the top producing agents in the country in a very short time. I have spent hours looking at this stuff, looking at our production history, calling our network and support people, asking my coworkers, asking our competitors. I want to be sure about what the reality is. Everyone where I work has been very generous with information and criticism. I am listened to all the time while on the phone. We will have put good sales for this year, way more than I would have guessed 2 months ago. You wouldn't believe how much P&C we have referred out recently.

From where?

All Web and another company that cold called me. The other company I never heard of, he said they are a niche health insurance lead provider and only deal with a handful of clients to minimize over selling the leads. I never heard of them but they claim they can produce thousands of health quote requests a day and the pricing from them was real good. All web wasnt as low of price but I could find a lot of info and comments regarding them. Hopefully these will be good sources for 2011.

All-web has a base price of $6.95 on their website without any filters....filtering for uninsurables, 2+ people, and currently insured would probably push that closer to $10-11.

I have found you can always get a better price from a lead vendor. Promise the volume, show them the dream and they will negotiate their prices.

Back