My sons car was totaled but not his fault. Does he have to notify his ins co?

BibH

Guru
100+ Post Club
My son’s car was totaled today. It’s a 2008 dodge 2500. Book value is $12k. First since it’s not his fault and the other co’s insurance will have to pay for it should he notify his company on Monday? Will he have to fight with the other ins company to get a fair price for his truck as he has it buy another vehicle? Will his company State Farm fight for him to get a fair price? Any help of how to handle this appreciated.

My son’s car was totaled today.

How do you know it's a total loss? Do you have a repair estimate already? If not, you are making an assumption that might or might not come to pass.

First since it’s not his fault and the other co’s insurance will have to pay for it should he notify his company on Monday?

"Will have to pay" and "paying" are two different things when making a claim against another driver's insurance. If he gets positive results within 48 hours of calling the other insurance company he doesn't have to call his own. But if he gets jerked around with no results he'd be better off using his own collision coverage for faster results.

Will he have to fight with the other ins company to get a fair price for his truck as he has it buy another vehicle?

Everybody thinks their vehicle is worth more than the insurance company says it is so, in that context, the answer to that question is probably yes.

Will his company State Farm fight for him to get a fair price?

No. His auto policy is not a pre-paid legal policy. State Farm's obligation is to pay for the repair or replacement of his vehicle under his collision coverage.

I sure hope your son is OK and I hope no one was injured.

With respect, how do you know your son was not at fault? Is this per a police report or did the other party admit they were at fault, or was your no one on your side in the auto at the time of the accident?

Because talking to the captive agent seems like notifying the company.

Because talking to the captive agent seems like notifying the company.

Right. But if indeed he is not at fault, what's the worry?

serious-thoughtful-man-making-assumption-looking-right-thinking_176420-21174.jpg

The other driver t-boned him and she got a ticket for failure to yield. He has liability only . I googled it and every article says notify your company . Is he on his own to fight the other company? He lost his car and has to rent one . He had to tow his car. Doesn’t the other company have to reimburse him?What’s the procedure he needs to do? Are we going to have to argue and fight with the other company . Since State Farm is his company aren’t they obligated to help their insured?

Last edited:
The other driver t-boned him and she got a ticket for failure to yield. He has liability only . I googled it and every article says notify your company .

And instead you notified us.

Is he on his own to fight the other company?

If you refuse to notify your company like you know you are supposed to, then perhaps yes.

Doesn’t the other company have to reimburse him?

Probably, yes. Another great question to ask State Farm who has a 24/7 line.

What’s the procedure he needs to do?

Another great question for your agent.

Are we going to have to argue and fight with the other company . Since State Farm is his company aren’t they obligated to help their insured?

I'll give you one guess who the best person to ask is.

Last edited:
He’ll notify the agent on Monday . No big hurry. I was just tapping into some minds on here that have experience with this on what to expect . No different than i give people advice on selling life ins.

He has liability only .

On a $12,000 car. Ouch.

Is he on his own to fight the other company?

Yes.

He lost his car and has to rent one . He had to tow his car. Doesn’t the other company have to reimburse him?

Those expenses are compensable.

What’s the procedure he needs to do?

He needs to call the other driver's insurance company, report the claim, get a claim number and an adjuster who will give him instructions as to what to do.

Are we going to have to argue and fight with the other company .

Could go either way. He'll just have to go through the process.

Since State Farm is his company aren’t they obligated to help their insured?

No. There is no contractual obligation to represent your son in a claim against another insurance company. His agent might or might not be willing to advise him on the claim process but the other insurance company rep is not obligated to talk to anybody but the claimant or the claimant's attorney.

Is your son over 18?

Back