NAIC to Hold Public Hearing in Austin On Commissions

Commissions add to the premium in its simplest form. But in an advanced form they do not, because the service that agents provide must come from somewhere. NAIC commissioners have been complaining that it would triple the work load of their complaint departments to handle the problems that agents have been resolving.

I agree that the NAIC doesn't want to hear crybaby agents. So... Talk to the NAIC in the way they want to hear it. Tell them that we lower their workload. Tell them that we represent the consumer and are consumer advocates. Tell them that we are INDEPENDENT and not tied to any particular insurer. Tell them that we are a voice for the small business and the family. Tell them that we are much more efficient than salaried staff at the insurer's home office. Tell them that we keep insurance companies honest by not selling products that don't meet the "smell test". Sheeeez, why am I telling you this. You already know this. Too bad Rockefeller doesn't.

AMEN! You ought to run for office!

how about I just tell them all insurance companies are liars and try to get out of paying claims and its our job to advise clients how to appeal declines and get them paid......

ok gang....here are the discussion points....how would you address these points if you had the chance to speak....still trying to call to see who they are letting speak......

• What is or is likely to be the impact of removing commissions from what is defined as premium under the MLR requirements?

• Have commissions been reduced since the passage of the federal law? If so, what is the impact of present and potential future commission reductions? Will this cause access issues? Is it likely agents/brokers will abandon health insurance markets? Please cite specific examples.
  • What will be the impact of a legislative change that treats producer commissions in the same manner as Federal and State taxes for purposes of calculating the MLR?
  • What is your opinion on the optimal solution to balance health plan/insurer concerns, consumer interests and the interests of agents/brokers?

It's been stated previously in this thread but it's a mistake to bring up a reduction in income. Simply put, they don't care that we make less.

The only way to attack this properly is show that by agents receiving less commission, clients are harmed. If you can't show that clients are harmed it's pointless.

yes...yes...yes....I know this......I have personal examples on some of my clients that I have helped......but what would you say if given the chance on all 4 points......how would you illustrate it......

It's been stated previously in this thread but it's a mistake to bring up a reduction in income. Simply put, they don't care that we make less.

The only way to attack this properly is show that by agents receiving less commission, clients are harmed. If you can't show that clients are harmed it's pointless.

There's a way to shape this and not sound greedy. Use the phrase "private-sector job loss."

Back