Need Assistance Choosing Health Plan

fateicon

Hi Everyone

I'm a former life insurance agent now working at a bank and thought you guys might be the right ones to talk to about my health benefits. The company I'm at hasn't made it very easy to get the details on all their different plans.

They offer the following:

priority hmo-grand rapids
welborn hmo-indiana
uhc ppo
uhc epo
uhc health savings plan
anthem ppo
anthem epo

epo/hmo 79.97
ppo 109.08
hsp 67.26

The page didn't say what the numbers were for. Premiums maybe? I'm thinking that the first two options are for those locations only. The summary of medical benefits page groups the plans by type, offering the same features even if the companies are different. I'm not sure if I should choose BCBS or UHC.

I'm 30, no real health problems, don't smoke, exercise, from IL, and generally try to live healthy enough to avoid the doctor.

I thought about the HSA, but haven't dug up enough info to figure out whether it's going to be useful for me. I work an entry level position that may pay me 20 something k a year at most. I've heard that HSAs are more valuable to people with large incomes.

Thanks in advance and I can try to provide any extra info you guys may need.

I had no idea there was so much heated debate about this stuff. I read a lot on HSAs but it seems like there's a lot of subjectivity to this stuff. If it helps, I don't really care to spend a lot of money and would probably put a grand or two a year in it once I pay off these credit cards(unless it makes more sense to contribute more). I suspect that the usefulness of an HSA may depend a lot on how you use it.

The decision has to be what fits for you. It is not a one size fits all which is where agents fit into the whole buying scenario. Too bad the carriers and government don't realize that.

Hi Everyone

I'm a former life insurance agent now working at a bank and thought you guys might be the right ones to talk to about my health benefits. The company I'm at hasn't made it very easy to get the details on all their different plans.

They offer the following:
epo/hmo 79.97
ppo 109.08
hsp 67.26

I'm 30, no real health problems, don't smoke, exercise, from IL, and generally try to live healthy enough to avoid the doctor.

I thought about the HSA, but haven't dug up enough info to figure out whether it's going to be useful for me. I work an entry level position that may pay me $20 something k a year at most. I've heard that HSAs are more valuable to people with large incomes.

Thanks in advance and I can try to provide any extra info you guys may need.

Greetings Fate_Icon,

According to the latest data at: Health Reform Subsidy Calculator , you will be eligible to receive a $2,894.00 annual health insurance credit from U.S. Taxpayers in 2014. As long as you do not earn a pay raise, that subsidy will grow as you get older.

The available "exchange" policies will be rich in wellness benefits and offer lower deductibles than what you're about to purchase. According to the calculator, after the $2,894.00 credit is taken into account, your out-of-pocket premium amount will be less than what you'll be paying for your open-market purchased policy. Just something for you to look forward to, FateIcon.
-A.C. :cool:

Back