Need Disability Carrier for UPS Driver

RonRoberts

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have a UPS driver wanting to supplement his disability insurance. With UPS he has a STD policy that will pay him approximately $1300 a month if he goes out on non work related disability. His gross monthly pay is $6000 a month. He would like to have a policy that would pay him closer to $2000 which would put him at closer to 50% of his regular income.

A driver went out this year for almost 10 month due to a knee infection. It almost cost him his house so other drivers are a little nervous.

Anyone have any ideas, carriers etc.?

Thank you for your input.

Ron

I was going to be looking at Assurity next week. But, while I am contracted with MOO, I am not familiar at all with their disability products.

Ron

They have a STD product that can be sold via bank draft DI Choice....You'll want to call as I'm not sure if he would be 2A, 1A or what...Local Route drivers would be 2A but the occ guide specifically says no loading or unloading, I believe UPS drivers do not load thier trucks but I would think the delivery would be unloading... They also list Tractor Trailer/ Truck Drivers as 1A with a minimum 60 day elimination period.

To give you an idea of rate you didn't mention age or tobacco use but a 35 male nonsmoker 60 day elimination period 24 month benefit period would run

2A $55.93 monthly
1A $75.35 monthly

Last edited:
They have a STD product that can be sold via bank draft DI Choice....You'll want to call as I'm not sure if he would be 2A, 1A or what...Local Route drivers would be 2A but the occ guide specifically says no loading or unloading, I believe UPS drivers do not load thier trucks but I would think the delivery would be unloading... They also list Tractor Trailer/ Truck Drivers as 1A with a minimum 60 day elimination period.

To give you an idea of rate you didn't mention age or tobacco use but a 35 male nonsmoker 60 day elimination period 24 month benefit period would run

2A $55.93 monthly
1A $75.35 monthly

Thanks for the info. I read your post last night and when I could not sleep at 2:00AM I got up and ran similar numbers, which I admit reasonably priced. I have another client who is a UPS driver that went out on a knee infection and for 9 months less the two week elimination period lived on $1300 a month. I will be calling MOO tomorrow to determine the proper job description and OC. I can't believe they have driver but not delivery type.

Ron

MoO does consider UPS drivers as a 1A occupational code. (I had one a couple months ago). If it were just a local courier (not parcel service related, but one who drove around in a mid-size car, for instance), then it would be 2A.

MoO for the 1A would run $75.35/month, as NorwayGuy listed.

I ran an identical quote from Assurity.

35/m Non-Smk
$2,000 mthly benefit
60 day elim/2 yr benefit
Occ Class 2 (specifically states parcel couriers)

Premium: $65.17/month

That is the Simplified Issue DI from Assurity. Online application, fast issue, etc.

MoO does consider UPS drivers as a 1A occupational code. (I had one a couple months ago). If it were just a local courier (not parcel service related, but one who drove around in a mid-size car, for instance), then it would be 2A.

MoO for the 1A would run $75.35/month, as NorwayGuy listed.

I ran an identical quote from Assurity.

35/m Non-Smk
$2,000 mthly benefit
60 day elim/2 yr benefit
Occ Class 2 (specifically states parcel couriers)

Premium: $65.17/month

That is the Simplified Issue DI from Assurity. Online application, fast issue, etc.

Cool. Save my client $10.00..and I like simplified.

Latest posts

Back