New Agent trying to find an Agency that wont lie

I interviewed in a suit and lived 10 minutes away. She asked me to help move office furniture and equipment in her office to set it differently than the agent she bought the business from. It would have taken 30-45 minutes round trip to change clothes. She called and told me to hold off on returning to her office until she called back but had already appointed me to her agency. 2 days later I had to call to find out she couldn't keep her offer and would not bring me on.

I would have sent her a bill for moving furniture.

Melissa,

Your post caught my eye. Though I'm no longer active in the industry, I still get forum updates. I'm in the process of publishing a book to help new agents like yourself. It's not comprehensive but it will help new agents avoid some of the traps. The focus is on life agents. I do have some insight on P&C but it is very limited.

You don't say what license(s) you have so it's hard to be specific. Overall, you could they all lie. It's not just insurance companies/agents/agencies - every employer misrepresents their offering one way or another. Or shall we give them the benefit of the doubt and say "embellish"? Semantics aside, there is far more to the insurance industry than what you know now. From what I can see, you're going about it the wrong way from the wrong perspective.

I've been there myself. I got into this industry out of desperation. I've since bowed out because of bad choices and misleading promises. Now I'm turning to my lifelong love of writing. My first two publishing efforts will be books on life insurance - one for new agents and one for consumers. They both reveal "dirty secrets" and more.

My first two publishing efforts will be books on life insurance - one for new agents and one for consumers. They both reveal "dirty secrets" and more.

Honest feedback. I hope your writing style in the publications are more succinct. From this statement above, I cant tell if the books will be about consumers & agents revealing their dirty secrets or if “they” is the books that will reveal what you perceived as dirty secrets of agents & dirty secrets of consumers.

Honest question: how long were you in the industry and did you try several positions, carriers, etc? Just a bit concerned that the books will be limited by your own experience, skill, etc.

I am not a personal producer nor am I in recruiting. I work for a single state mostly PC company, so I dont believe I will be in negative light from your book, but just curious.

Good luck with it & you came to the right place for dirty, not sure about secrets as this forum is not able to keep a secret…….LOL

Overall, you could they all lie. It's not just insurance companies/agents/agencies - every employer misrepresents their offering one way or another. Or shall we give them the benefit of the doubt and say "embellish"? Semantics aside, there is far more to the insurance industry than what you know now. From what I can see, you're going about it the wrong way from the wrong perspective.

If that is your attitude, heaven help anyone that buys your book and takes your advice. I have been in this business since July 5, 1971 and I have met many, many honest folks. As far as embellishing, if they tell you it is possible to make 100K and you don't make it becasue you don't do what it takes, that is on you not them.

Back