New Client Mailer I'm Working on

It was not hard to get a permit. I have a very simple return envelope that they return their info inside of. My permit in not on the prospecting letter itself. They tear it off and place it in the return envelope.

Just visit the post office website for more info or visit your local post office.

Back in the day, insurance companies would help you on a permit.

I'm still thinking about giving some sample prices or quotes on it. A lot of agents place 10 term with the best rate class as an example on the quotes. I thought about showing 20 year term at standard prices. Also if I give quotes, I have to get it approved by the company that I've quoting. Any thoughts on this?

Also is there anything that you would add to this prospecting letter ?? I'm still looking for the perfect picture to place on it.

It's pouring out right now and the following "stormed" through my mind.

"Don't leave your loved ones standing in the rain without an umbrella."

Under that statement a picture of a woman with two little children, soaking wet standing in a downpour shivering. Maybe a second picture next to it of the same woman and children with it raining like hell smiling and dry standing under a huge umbrella. On the umbrella have printed something like, "He loved us enough to keep us dry".

I'm not sure putting quotes in is a good idea. As you said, if you do that they are going to have to be approved by the company/companies. "One size" is not going to fit all unless you are only selling for one company.

People are getting wise to ads that say "for as little as", or "starting at", etc. People are learning that usually the advertised "rate" will only apply to .00001% of the population and automatically figure it is a BS rate just to get them to respond.

I would beef up the part of making sure they get the best rate. Something like we will research all of the major carriers based on the information you give us and we will provide you with actual quotes from the top three insurance companies.

Our professional staff is here to assist you in making a well informed, intelligent decision.

This service is totally FREE. You are never under any obligation to purchase a policy.

Just some quick thoughts.

Normally I would be one of the first to criticize someone offering advice who has "never walked in our shoes".

However, when we are talking about designing something that will go to John Q. Public I believe we would be remiss in not getting "John's" opinion. We as agents may think something sounds great and looks great but remember, it is not being sent to us.

I think his observation about mailers trying to trick one into opening it is an extremely astute observation. One that I believe is definitely worth taking into consideration.

He is also right when he says the major hurdle that has to be overcome first is making the envelope interesting enough to make the prospect want to open it. The message inside can be dynamite but if the recipient doesn't open it the time and money to send it is for naught.

I think his observations are spot on.

Not busting your butt Patch, just looking at it from a different perspective.

No problem, but I think you missed the person the barb was aimed at. ;) Empty gives a lot of profound advice, but seems to read and absorb very little that has already been posted. I totally agreed with the posts that were two above my last one.

I use direct mail. I use business reply and toll free numbers. I do not get large response rates from either, but I am not looking for large response rates, I am looking for qualified responses. I mail to many of the same people month after month. The affect and results are cumulative and are about creating name/brand recognition and referrals, not achieving a 3pct response rate. Every mailing pays for itself almost immediately and plants seeds that grow into clients, eventually.

My direct mail piece is generally a newsletter with a reply card in an envelope. I occassionally do mailings that are totally product oriented, but in general I prefer using a monthly newsletter with a variety of articles that are product related as well as non product human interest blurbs. I just sent my 75th monthly newsletter out this last Monday.

I made a great mailer on vista print, full color, but its not a return mailer unfortunately, im still trying to figure out how to do that, vista doesn't offer that, but i like my design...
I hope we have answered your question about why Vistaprint doesn't offer BRM. :1err:

Frank, I'm thinking about that picture that you would use. Do you happen to have a picture like this already?

Frank, I'm thinking about that picture that you would use. Do you happen to have a picture like this already?

No but it is raining like hell again. Our children are too old but if I could talk Jacqueline in going out to the barn with me we could round up a couple of our new kids, goats, and have her stand next to them. They are very cool looking.

Probably wouldn't be the same thing though.

Sorry

You want people to open your mail? This sounds ridiculous, but I guarantee that they will open it. Hand address the envelope. Do it nice, like you were writing a letter to your aunt. It will get opened every time. It is such a novelty to get a hand addressed envelope these days. I don't think that people can pass it up.

We (my wife ;) ) hand addresses the birthday cards but the 1000 plus newsletters a month we mail are machine addressed. What I do is have a stamp affixed to the envelope. They still are mailed at the bulk rate using a special stamp the post office provides. My mail service charges me a couple dollars to run them through the stamping machine. This makes them look like first class mail and they are more likely to be opened.

I just got the bill for printing, stuffing, stamping and mailing 1100 newsletters with a reply card in the envelope for just over $500. Of those 1100, less than half are active clients I am staying in touch with and the rest are targeted from my list of past seminar attendees, internet leads, preset appts that were pitch and misses, etc... I will get about a 1% response rate, but I have already sold many of them and am using the newsletter to stay in touch, generate future cross selling opportunities and referrals. I email 400 a month, but most of my clients are seniors and many do not use email, so I have to use the post office/snail mail to stay in touch.

My newsletter always has pictures of our family. Grandkids, wife, me, the dog and cat...whatever I have that is fresh on the computer. Many of my clients are now friends and I get a lot of comments about the grandkid's. I mentioned our wedding anniversary in this last one and we have already received a couple cards from clients in the mail.

Last edited:
You could always print the bulk rate indicia on a "label" and adhere it to the piece PROVIDED the piece has the appropriate "return" address printed on the piece or printed on a label and placed on the piece..

It's nothing to apply. If you have thousands - hire a homeless guy/gal to do it for a penny a piece . . . 5k pieces = $50 for them. If it takes them 2 days - so what . . .

Tom

Back