New Farmers Hire

Here are my top things to learn or master in this industry:

Learn how to do effective marketing.
Learn how to properly network with other business professionals.
Learn how to ask for referrals from clients and networks.
Treat your clients and network like family.

Master a sales system that is more from an advisory position vs a sleazy salesman.
* Listen to your clients and find what their problem is....Provide them with a solution.

ALWAYS ASK FOR BUSINESS.

Here are my top things to learn or master in this industry:

Learn how to do effective marketing.
Learn how to properly network with other business professionals.
Learn how to ask for referrals from clients and networks.
Treat your clients and network like family.

Master a sales system that is more from an advisory position vs a sleazy salesman.
* Listen to your clients and find what their problem is....Provide them with a solution.

ALWAYS ASK FOR BUSINESS.

Awesome thank you for the advice!

That’s the question I have been mulling over how to bring up asking for referral without it seeming like I look at my clients as just money trees

I feel in the commercial world again 0 experience but at least they understand it’s your job but when I feel on the personal clients it will be harder. Who knows I may be completely wrong..

Generally, when people find something good and feel they made good decisions, they want to share it and show it off to their friends, family, and acquaintances.

Think about it. What do you do when you stumble on a great TV show or YouTube video, awesome restaurant , or get a great deal on something? Help people do what they want to do.

Personally, when I make a sale and get less than three or four referrals on the spot, I considered it a failure, and go back to my office and try to figure out what I did wrong. Most other agents go back to their office and pour more money into expensive weak leads

Generally, when people find something good and feel they made good decisions, they want to share it and show it off to their friends, family, and acquaintances.

Think about it. What do you do when you stumble on a great TV show or YouTube video, awesome restaurant , or get a great deal on something? Help people do what they want to do.

Personally, when I make a sale and get less than three or four referrals on the spot, I considered it a failure, and go back to my office and try to figure out what I did wrong. Most other agents go back to their office and pour more money into expensive weak leads

Alright that was kind of my thinking, I had been doing some reading on Nextdoor (neighborhood forum) and noticed how many people went to bat for their own Agents. My goal is to blow them away with like you said that first time so all it requires is a gentle prod for the referrals.

You should only expect to see referrals in any significant numbers with a deliberate, structured, and very carefully planned out system of leading people to and asking for referrals.

I've been coaching other agents on it for years, and I don't see results without a careful, structured system.

If you think you've done a good job, and then you simply ask the person if they know anybody that might want to talk to you about insurance, you'll be lucky if you get one referral every few sales. To be blunt, something as half-assed as that will be barely worth the effort.

You should only expect to see referrals in any significant numbers with a deliberate, structured, and very carefully planned out system of leading people to and asking for referrals.

I've been coaching other agents on it for years, and I don't see results without a careful, structured system.

If you think you've done a good job, and then you simply ask the person if they know anybody that might want to talk to you about insurance, you'll be lucky if you get one referral every few sales. To be blunt, something as half-assed as that will be barely worth the effort.

Interesting like I said I don't even have my license test til the end of September, so I have other things to focus on now so I will take your word for it. Now come October that will be my next challenge is deciding how to structure my referral system, but I really do welcome all feedback.

ALWAYS ASK FOR BUSINESS.

*I actually do not agree with the concept of always asking for business. Insurance is a far more complex sale than basic goods. Its a highly tailored, complex financial instrument.

There are a lot of clients out there you frankly, do not want to do business with:
  1. People that do not pay their bills.
  2. Clients that are more apt to file fraudulent claims.
  3. Consumers whose sole focus is to save money and don't care about insurance coverages.
  4. Groups of people for whom you can NOT provide insurance for.
In addition, honestly there are clients that you will get that the insurance process will not go well with - hence why would you ask them for a referral?

My suggestion is to be selective who you ask for business from. Remember the goal is not the quantity of referrals, rather the quality and size of your book of business. I have seen numerous situations where pushy salespeople ruin their relationship with their prospect or client by asking for referrals.

Best of Luck

*I actually do not agree with the concept of always asking for business. Insurance is a far more complex sale than basic goods. Its a highly tailored, complex financial instrument.

There are a lot of clients out there you frankly, do not want to do business with:
  3. Consumers whose sole focus is to save money and don't care about insurance coverages.
In addition, honestly there are clients that you will get that the insurance process will not go well with - hence why would you ask them for a referral?

My suggestion is to be selective who you ask for business from. Remember the goal is not the quantity of referrals, rather the quality and size of your book of business. I have seen numerous situations where pushy salespeople ruin their relationship with their prospect or client by asking for referrals.

Best of Luck

Well, I'm talking about after you have already qualify them as a potential good client... I'm not talking about picking any dirt bag off the streets and seal the deal. When I was selling car insurance I never do business with people who wants the cheapest car insurance. I never do business with people who want 15/30 car insurance coverage. I just tell these prospects that my agency doesn't focus on these things and I will be happy to recommend an agency that can help them and referred them out.

You have to ask for business once you determine a person is a great prospect. I know a guy who will never ask for business...He is sit there and wait for a prospect to close for him. He's too afraid of rejection so he pretty much wait until the prospect LITERALLY says, "Let's go ahead and do the paperwork." If the client doesn't say it...he folds and lets the prospect walk right out the door.

Last edited:

Best of Luck
Marindependent brings up a very good point. I usually skip this part when I'm talking about getting referrals, because I want to focus on the mechanics of asking for a referral, and then the agent will figure this out along the way, but from my experience, he is absolutely right.

People tend to hang out and associate with people like them, with similar values. Not surprisingly, good clients tend to give good referrals, and bad clients tend to give bad referrals. It's not a hundred percent, but pretty darn consistent.

Back