Non compete when buying book

From everything I have seen, signing a non compete just means you can't go after those same clients, NOT that you can never work again in the same industry. Why would the buyer ask that? How would it benefit him?

Actually, his language is stating that I cannot work for any competitor in thirty miles and not solicit for 3 years. I would be okay if it just said I would not open another agency but that is not what he is requesting. He is worried that clients will seek me out after I leave. I have no intention of poaching the book I sell - I am looking forward to something new. He is also asking my husband to sign the non compete as well. Next he probably is going to ask my kids!

I think I am going to move on. It is a strong offer, but the non compete is ridiculous. Maybe I will try and bring my book to another agency and "partner" up.

I think I am going to move on.
In that case, so would I.

Maybe I will try and bring my book to another agency and "partner" up.
Your book will be far more valuable with you as part of it. Every once in awhile I get a phone call that's a bit comical. My client will ask about a bill they got, and why they are getting it. I laugh and tell them that's the insurance company I wrote them with. Then, they asked me if they should pay it. I laugh, and say yes. They aren't buying Liberty Mutual, or AmTrust, or Nationwide. They bought me. Without me, my book holds a fraction of its value.

Mark, I was finding the opposite. Agencies wanting my book and me lowballed the book. Then wanted to pay me over 3 years - that is same as being captive and a non compete. My book isn't that big for that kind of limit and payout - particularly with the potential capital gains changes.
I agree, my clients do love me and I want to find the right agency for them. It is mostly personal lines and people shop, so I think buyers don't value personal lines. Sadly, I just want to move on and need to start remarketing the book.
Thanks for the feedback!

If its something new, why is the non-compete an issue?
The non-compete is an issue for me. My employment options are primarily with other agencies. He (and the bank) does not want me to work for another agency OR start up a new agency. I have 2 offers now - both at other agencies near my home but I can't accept if I sign this noncompete.

A non-solicit is fine - I will not reach out to clients. He is worried that if I go to another agency clients will find me. It could happen, clients do shop and they may end up where I work - but not by me seeking them out. Clients can and will leave regardless where I work - even if I decide to sell ice cream at the beach - clients will leave! It part of the business risk of buying book vs building one.

Last edited:
Mark, I was finding the opposite. Agencies wanting my book and me lowballed the book. Then wanted to pay me over 3 years - that is same as being captive and a non compete. My book isn't that big for that kind of limit and payout - particularly with the potential capital gains changes.
I agree, my clients do love me and I want to find the right agency for them. It is mostly personal lines and people shop, so I think buyers don't value personal lines. Sadly, I just want to move on and need to start remarketing the book.
Thanks for the feedback!

Perhaps I am being pedantic, but I said your book would be more valuable with you as a part of it. I didn't say people would pay more for it in a buyout. Similar, but different.

Yes - that makes sense that personal lines holds less value as it is higher turnover, and I believe it is lower commission as well. I got out of the personal lines game years ago, and am only commercial now.

Since you bring it up, do you mind if I ask, what size is your book?

Perhaps I am being pedantic, but I said your book would be more valuable with you as a part of it. I didn't say people would pay more for it in a buyout. Similar, but different.

Yes - that makes sense that personal lines holds less value as it is higher turnover, and I believe it is lower commission as well. I got out of the personal lines game years ago, and am only commercial now.

Since you bring it up, do you mind if I ask, what size is your book?
The revenues are $180K a year -

Back