NON Grandfathered Plans - 2014 Premiums?

My two cents on this:

1. It's hyper-partisan. There's no doubt this was produced only by Republicans, and its only purpose was to scare, not inform. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

2. I don't believe that the rates for IL and Chicago markets will rise so dramatically. IL has already implemented some of these EHBs, and our rates are already higher than most other states. From rumors we've heard, BCBS/UHC are going to have a 25-30% increase on fully insured group plans for next year, but not the monstrous 60% increase predicted here. The individual cost could rise that much due to maternity and rating provisions, however.

All in all, it's interesting, but difficult to take at face value.

Note that the chart on page 3 is specifically for the individual market, and the blue chart on page 4 is for Young Adults in both Individual and Small Group markets.

You are right about slanted reporting. The first time I saw this, I thought it was fake, using the symbols of congress yet being written by another organization. But it's not, it's actually from those congressional committees, particularly the minority staff of some of them. Their figures, however, may be true or at least close. In my home state of AZ, this says 65-100% rate increases, and that's what we've heard from carriers, too. I guess we will all know the numbers sometime this summer!

I don't believe that the rates for IL and Chicago markets will rise so dramatically. IL has already implemented some of these EHBs, and our rates are already higher than most other states.

Do those rates include GI, community rating and age compression?

The amount of rate increase depends on too many factors. 30-40% is a blanket answer, and not accurate. Maybe on group, but not on IFP.

(Assuming 400+% of FPL)
If on a $10k deductible now for $200, it will see a 100+% increase.
If on a 2k deductible, you may see 30-40% rate up.
If a young male paying $100/mo, you'll see 100+% rate up

The amount of rate increase depends on too many factors. 30-40% is a blanket answer, and not accurate. Maybe on group, but not on IFP.

(Assuming 400+% of FPL)
If on a $10k deductible now for $200, it will see a 100+% increase.
If on a 2k deductible, you may see 30-40% rate up.
If a young male paying $100/mo, you'll see 100+% rate up

x2 young people will get squeezed the hardest. Mom or dad usually pays the premium for most of the under 25's I currently write

again.... I direct your attention to the humana rates in Houston and Austin where the pilot plans are camping... 30 40% is hogwash......

Those Pilots are flying too low. The new and upcoming fees/taxes/charges will cause dem pilots to climb beyond the stratosphere.

again.... I direct your attention to the humana rates in Houston and Austin where the piolit plans are camping... 30 40% is hogwash......

Tater,
Just telling you what I have been told. We did have a bigger than normal rate increase this year, so if you consider that, it would be more.

An exec mentioned the over 50 crowd may likely get a slight rate decrease or stay level, but the under 50 crowd may be in for a surprise. So the average rate increase on the younger will likely be higher than 30-40%.

Not sure what it's like in TX, but that's whats being talked about in NC. We will see in a few months.

Tater,
Just telling you what I have been told. We did have a bigger than normal rate increase this year, so if you consider that, it would be more.

An exec mentioned the over 50 crowd may likely get a slight rate decrease or stay level, but the under 50 crowd may be in for a surprise. So the average rate increase on the younger will likely be higher than 30-40%.

Not sure what it's like in TX, but that's whats being talked about in NC. We will see in a few months.

Did you rune the rates I asked ya to or not? That's where the rubber meets the road

Back