Not All Clients Make you Money!

I seriously thought about it. One would have to set up and announce an 'Agency Policy' of sorts, and let that policy be known to all your insured's. In the end I decided it's just not worth the risk of losing/attracting and retaining customers. I'm not into giving anyone a reason to shop as the other Indy down the street that doesn't charge for certs. And in this day of social media and google reviews, slippery slope we work.

Now if it's brokerage business, nothing wrong with adding a set policy fee.

Brokerage as in surplus lines?

Thought I was helping a porter at a local car dealer get ahead in life when he asked about towing trade-ins to the auction house. Wrote a small commercial policy for his truck and trailer for a 100 mile radius business plan. Every. Single. Day. he called needing one to five COI's and needed them right away. He was hustling his butt off but I was having a tough time keeping up with my other work while relaying the information to the dispatcher he hired. Could not wait for him to compare rates and leave.

IT IS very possible you can write a client, receive a commission for that client, and yet you can still come out of that seemingly winning situation with not a single $ in our pocket.
  • Who are these clients?
  • What do they act like?
  • And if they negatively impact the agency, what should you do with them?
I suggested in some social media posts last week that this video might ruffle some feathers. It will most likely create some meaningful conversation. Take a gander, then let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/nGudmxRnd1I

No argument there. It's one of the main reasons that agents in their 1st couple of years are not going to be as good as they are after a few more years on them. They don't know which ones to NOT work with.

I seriously thought about it. One would have to set up and announce an 'Agency Policy' of sorts, and let that policy be known to all your insured's. In the end I decided it's just not worth the risk of losing/attracting and retaining customers. I'm not into giving anyone a reason to shop as the other Indy down the street that doesn't charge for certs. And in this day of social media and google reviews, slippery slope we work.

Now if it's brokerage business, nothing wrong with adding a set policy fee.

Dont know about AZ but in AR you cannot charge for certs/EOP/changes/etc. Its supposed to be a part of commission. There was a large agent doing it 10+ years ago but he ended up in FPMITA Prison for other issues.

Back