Not at fault collision accident

rockyindallas

Folks

Another person rear-ended me today with minor damage. I reported to my insurance company but also called a repair shop later and they said I should have gone to them directly and they can work with the other person's insurance so nothing comes on to my record. Is that accurate? I know my claim will be registered as a no fault but will it also go against me for the total number of claims I have made if I shop for new insurance a year down the line

Also even though I wasn't at fault, will my insurance company still apply the deductible which is $1000 (which I'm guessing is also about the repair cost). Is it thus better for me to call the at fault person's insurance company directly or have my repair shop do that?

Thanks

called a repair shop later and they said I should have gone to them directly and they can work with the other person's insurance so nothing comes on to my record. Is that accurate?

No, it isn't. The claim against the other driver's insurance would have to have your name on it and it would be reported to CLUE (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange) which all of the insurance industry subscribes to and gets claim information from.

What could actually happen is you leave your car at the shop for evaluation, the adjuster comes out to the shop to inspect, and the shop person and the adjuster can be on the same page as to repair cost.

Also even though I wasn't at fault, will my insurance company still apply the deductible which is $1000 (which I'm guessing is also about the repair cost).

Yes, you'll pay your deductible and your insurance will pay for the difference. Your insurance will seek reimbursement from the at-fault driver's insurance company and will refund your deductible to you when it collects.

Is it thus better for me to call the at fault person's insurance company directly or have my repair shop do that?

You'll have to to initiate the claim. Nobody at the other insurance company is going to talk to a repair shop person without you initiating the claim.

Make the call if you like. If the other driver's insurance responds quickly then do it that way. If you get the run-around use your collision coverage.

Back