Not licensed in Wisconsin, help for client with Plan F moving for 6/1/24 MedSupp GI options?

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Interstate move to Wisconsin for the client within 45 minutes of Madison. I may be mixing up the GI option potential with what is an option for those with an MAPD moving interstate. Just looked at a MedSupp option online at the current carrier offering only the "basic plan" MedSupp where the person pays the Medicare Part A hospital deductible, currently would save about $39/month, a non starter. The client has Plan F, which they can certainly keep, I am just thinking if there is a Wisconsin MedSupp GI option similar to G or N, that could be helpful for future rate increases. Client has PDP that is also available in WI--will just do address change or whatever they need, keep it to end of 2024.

General, not specific, response.

Carriers I am familiar with usually do not allow GI switch to a lesser plan (F to G). And GI usually pays zilch to the agent.

Supplement plans follow the policyholder. Unless WI has special rules for Medigap policyholders, this is not a GI situation. MAPD moving to a new service area does trigger GI rules.

PDP are filed with CMS by zip and county. Moves within the state sometimes require a plan change. . . move out of state will require a plan change.

The change is initiated by SSA once notified of the new address. They tell CMS and CMS tells the current PDP carrier.

Client/agent can also initiate a change if a different PDP is a better fit.

Wisconsin guide to Medicare plans attached.

WI offers basic, enhanced, select and Cost plans so buckle up.

All this may be moot if the client cannot pass underwriting . . .

I don't see any indication if WI is a GI state.

Attachments

• PI-002.pdf
    500 KB · Views: 0
The base plan and all riders are GI for Wisconsin. Nothing gets carved out so people can choose any/all options when they have GI.

Close Plan N is going to be the base plan + Rider 1. Part A Deductible Rider 2 Part B Copayment/coinsurance rider + Rider 3 Foreign Travel Emergency

You can also add a Rider for Part B Excess Charges and a Rider for Additional Home Health care.

And GI usually pays zilch to the agent.

Supplement plans follow the policyholder. Unless WI has special rules for Medigap policyholders, this is not a GI situation.
1. Wisconsin is unique where GI does pay normal commissions. At least for ages 65-80 with most companies.

2. Nothing special about WI regarding moving with a Medicare supplement. It would have to be a Medigap Select plan (or MA like you said) for moving to qualify for GI.

I am only working on this to help a friend. I once had a Wisconsin license but I am ok not to, just for this client, who already had their MedSupp, just never signed up for a PDP which I did for them. I am in an office with them as a neighbor, so, all good. I think they should stay with the $200 Plan F for now, and am curious if the GI is ongoing or only due to moving. Since I am not the agent so not paid on the F, my thinking is not for my good, only theirs.

Packerland has an agency in Wisconsin.
Thanks Billy ...

In most of the United States, Medigap (also called Medicare Supplements) can be characterized by eight different types of plans (A, B, D, G, K, L, M, N). However, there are three states that work completely differently: Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Wisconsin saying that we can add riders that pretty much equal an F, N, and G plans etc.

Each of our plans have mandated benefits and in most cases exceed what a traditional F plan would cover.

As for a guaranteed issue unless you have a Med Supplement Select plan or MAPD...we have no GI for someone moving to WI with a traditional Med Supp

Back