Not Quite an Agent Yet!

onefastpony

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hello everybody. First I would like to state that this forum has been very informative to me. I’ve been lurking on here for about a month now and the wealth of knowledge on here is immeasurable. I’m extremely green to the Life/Health/Annuity world and as a matter of fact I’m waiting on the DFS to let me know when I can schedule my exam.

A little about me, I’m not totally new to the world of selling. I’m currently a Bail Bondsman and you really need to be able to sell yourself and know how to read people rather quickly in this business. The reason I’m looking to cross over into other forms of insurance is I’m getting tired of working 7 days a week with 95+ hours a week and not being able to see my son as much. I do have a great work ethic and the bail industry has provided for me pretty well. I would just like to maybe only work 50-60 hrs a week and have some family time.

With this intro I have been researching different paths as far as being a Captive agent versus an Independent and I think for the beginning I will go Captive so that I can get a little bit of training, really learn the products being offered and just work on me with the plan of later going independent.

Since I have come to this decision of being Captive I have read that AGLA is a pretty good company to start with to learn the ropes. I also have been researching MetLife since I have a very big MetLife office /call center not far from where I live. The questions I have regarding being a Captive agent and if anybody has any experience with AGLA, what is the pay schedule like? I’m used to commission; I’ve been commission for the past 7 years, that doesn’t scare me. I would like to know percentages. Also, I’ve read that AGLA’s pay schedule can be confusing? How so and what is a good way to track your commissions and bonuses (if applicable).

I have not had to rely on a company getting me licensed so I’m not beholden to anybody for fees for the schooling. I think if you want it just do it yourself that way they can’t hold it over your head. But since I will have done it on my own in regards to looking for employment what is the best way? I’ve been thinking of just Cold Calling the AM at the local AGLA office and just trying to have a sit down with him. I’ve also found him on FB and due to my investigative side from being a Bail Bondsman, I all ready have his home address and home phone #. No!!! I’m not going to show up at his house but how would he feel about me cold calling?? J/K

Sorry for the double thread post!! I thought this was a more appropriate location after submitting my first thread.

Last edited:
Paragraphs would make it easier to read. I honestly didn't read it all either.

I would just find a local AGLA office and see what kind of commissions they give. They might all be different.
Probably expect around 60% on life insurance, maybe around $200 on med supps and around 4-5% for annuities

Well, you just passed the first test. You can accept suggestions from others. See you edited your post into paragraphs. :1biggrin:

AGLA will pay 45% base commission on life but if you stay in their production matrix you can get upwards of 100%+ . I am sure the manager would not mind you contacting him. If he is like most, he will be thrilled to run into someone who has initiative. Good luck on whatever you decide.

For you guys in Tampa, what does AGLA write there primarily?
I've had a couple of appts there in Tampa recently.

Back