Not Sure What Medigap They Have

jn8691mr

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am just beginning cold calling and understand I have a learning curve ... I've talked to a few people who do not know what they have ... How would I find out what plan they have? Is it on their card?

Have a good quote engine like CSG ready to go and probe

How much is premium, Most people know what they are paying regardless of the fact some try to say they don't

What is the name of Ins carrier

Do they pay copays or deductibles

I am just beginning cold calling and understand I have a learning curve ... I've talked to a few people who do not know what they have ... How would I find out what plan they have? Is it on their card?

It should be. You could also find out which company they have, their age and premium they pay. Then look it up on CSG, it might not be exact if they haven't had the most recent rate increase...it should be close enough to tell which plan they have.

A lot of clients have an Advantage plan, but think it is a supplement. If they have a Part C or Part D plan, you can look it up on Medicare.gov. They have to be willing to give you their Medicare number, their dob and the date they got Part A.

Go to personalized search on the page below.

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/home.aspx

This won't tell you anything about any supplement plan they might have, although if they have a PDP and a supplement it will give you the information on the PDP.

I think it is about a month behind, so you may not see any recent changes.

Ask them how much they pay when they go to the doctor and/or use other services. That's a great way to fish out a supp vs a MA plan.

Call the right areas and you'll get less of that.

Although when I'm calling areas with some MA penetration, (under 20%) I'll will look up the area I'm calling on Medicare.gov. In more rural areas, sometimes there will be only one or two MA plans. Name drop them just to make sure their not on one of them.

My first couple sentences are just screening.

"Oh hi Bob, This is Tom. I'm just wanted to give you a quick update on what's happening with your Medicare. You do have Original Medicare with a supplement, correct?"

They all say yes, so I just confirm.

"Oh good, So you're not on one of those Advantage plans like Coventry or Humana, are you?"

If their still not sure what there on, you can ask:

"When you go to the doctor, do you show one card or two? Is your Red White & Blue Card one of them?

Once you've narrowed it down, you can say, "Most folks I talk to are on that Plan F, That's the one that pays all the deductibles. Does that sound like the plan you're on?"

Just don't ask them who their carrier is or how much their paying, at least in the beginning. This builds resistance.

Try this instead:

Just explain what you do, and that there's a pretty good chance, if they haven't shopped their rate in a while, that they may be overpaying for the exact same plan.

And that it only takes a minute to find out! "All I need to know is your age and whether you are a smoker or non-smoker, and I can tell you what the most competitive rate is in your area, and then you can tell me, if that's close to what you're paying. Sound fair?"

If their guard is down, most of the time, they will play along, because now their curious.

Last edited:
Ask them to grab the card they show their Doctor. They will either grab their Medicare card, Medicaid card, or insurance card. If they mention a carrier that does both Med Supp and MA plans ask what their premium is. If they don't know their premium they are paying ask if it is done by bank draft. If you want to research if MA or Med Supp simply ask if they have co-pays every time they go to Doctor/hospital. If they still don't know thank them for their time and move on. How can you attempt to save someone money when they don't even know what they are currently paying? Not worth your time. These are the folks with low intelligence, most likely low income, and half the time these people are on Medicaid anyway.

Back