NY Life Rate Increase

Yes. We've had our policies just over the three year mark, which was the minimum rate guarantee. My wife received the letter, however, I did not. I assume it is because we are on different billing cycles. Time shall tell.

A quick Google search shows they tried, and failed, in CT earlier this year.

Interesting. So the LTCI mutual cookie starts to crumble.

Are they the first big mutual to ask for a rate increase on existing business?

Really. What ever happened to the "we'll just reduce all the dividends your policy will earn" statement?

Maybe the dividends werent enough... the OP says it is on a block of business that is just 3 years old... ??? that is really odd. It has to be due to interest rates. Maybe they forecasted for them to rise more than they have. Also, I dont think that NYL LTCI starts paying a dividend until year 3 or 5 if I remember correctly.

But why on 3 year old biz and not on older blocks of biz? The older blocks should have had the most incorrect actuarial assumptions.

Maybe the dividends werent enough... the OP says it is on a block of business that is just 3 years old... ??? that is really odd. It has to be due to interest rates. Maybe they forecasted for them to rise more than they have. Also, I dont think that NYL LTCI starts paying a dividend until year 3 or 5 if I remember correctly.

But why on 3 year old biz and not on older blocks of biz? The older blocks should have had the most incorrect actuarial assumptions.

I don't know how old our actual block is. My wife and I bought our policies in 2010 and we're both getting the letter at renewal. I do know we bought in at the tail end of the book though.

Actual increase is 40% because we're under 50. Dividends happen on the third year-- well they are supposed to

Back