OE and PreEx waiting periods

I think that person is misinformed. I'd call again and talk to a different person. Here's what Cigna has on the back of their brochure:

"Preexisting conditions These policies will not pay for any expenses incurred for care or treatment of a preexisting condition for the first six months from the effective date of coverage. This exclusion does not apply if you are applying for and are issued the policy under guaranteed issue status; if on the date of application for the policy you had at least six months of prior creditable coverage; or, if the policy is replacing another Medicare Supplement policy and a six month waiting period has already been satisfied. Evidence of prior coverage or replacement must be on the application for the policy. If you had less than six months prior creditable coverage, the preexisting conditions limitation will be reduced by the aggregate amount of creditable coverage. If the policy is replacing another Medicare Supplement policy, credit will be given for any portion of the waiting period that has been satisfied. A preexisting condition is a condition for which medical advice was given or treatment was recommended by or received from a physician within six months prior to the policy effective date."

See this is a little confusing as it does not mention OE

In the case of GI states
"This exclusion does not apply if you are applying for and are issued the policy under guaranteed issue status; if on the date of application for the policy you had at least six months of prior creditable coverage; or, if the policy is replacing another Medicare Supplement policy and a six month waiting period has already been satisfied.

That's a big IF just seems strange they would mention GI spacially and then just reiterates the same IF just like a non GI policy

In the case of GI states
"This exclusion does not apply if you are applying for and are issued the policy under guaranteed issue status; if on the date of application for the policy you had at least six months of prior creditable coverage; or, if the policy is replacing another Medicare Supplement policy and a six month waiting period has already been satisfied.

That's a big IF just seems strange they would mention GI spacially and then just reiterates the same IF just like a non GI policy

It's does mention having prior creditable coverage though. They are probably including OE as GI anyway, but the creditable coverage is enough said.

In the case of GI states

That is confusing, so I called.

If the person had no credible coverage(like group insurance through work for example) for the 6 months prior to getting Medicare, then they have the waiting period for pre-existing conditions. If they had credible coverage for 3 months, they'd have a 3 month waiting period. They're still guaranteed to get the coverage, but have to go through the waiting period.

If a person has some serious health conditions, I'd use a company that doesn't have this pre-existing waiting period. You just happened to mention 2 that do.

That is confusing, so I called.

If the person had no credible coverage(like group insurance through work for example) for the 6 months prior to getting Medicare, then they have the waiting period for pre-existing conditions. If they had credible coverage for 3 months, they'd have a 3 month waiting period. They're still guaranteed to get the coverage, but have to go through the waiting period.

If a person has some serious health conditions, I'd use a company that doesn't have this pre-existing waiting period. You just happened to mention 2 that do.

Gotcha Ill have to go Mutual or Aetna

I think most of the companies you run across are going to use that wording. Many of the states have their own laws and say they can't impose the 6 month waiting period no matter what (SC for instance). Check and see if TN works the same.

I think most of the companies you run across are going to use that wording. Many of the states have their own laws and say they can't impose the 6 month waiting period no matter what (SC for instance). Check and see if TN works the same.

The client is in TX

I've run into this before and called Cigna and Transamerica. I called each company multiple times on different occasions and received conflicting answers each time, regarding pre-existing in OE.

If I run into someone in OE without employer/indy coverage I will let them know that Cigna/Trans may not cover 100% right away, just to be safe.

If either company can put into writing that pre-x is covered during OE than problem solved. Stating that only GI is covered and not mentioning OE is not enough for me.

Aarp also has a prex if they had no prior creditable coverage. Medicare alone doesnt count either. It's only 3 mths vs 6 with new era/Philadelphia. They both do impose these however, I know in new era cases they stamp it on the first page of the policy "6 month waiting period".

Last edited:
Aarp also has a prex if they had no prior creditable coverage. Medicare alone doesnt count either. It's only 3 mths vs 6 with new era/Philadelphia. They both do impose these however, I know in new era cases they stamp it on the first page of the policy "6 month waiting period". It's best to send OE business elsewhere, which I'm sure they do they dont mind lol.

AARP/UHC clearly states that pre existing conditions are covered during OE even without credible coverage, whereas Cigna and Transamerica do not clearly state it.

AARP/UHC only puts a waiting period on when apps are underwritten.

Latest posts

Back