Office Fees for Newbies

scottstreet

Guru
100+ Post Club
Is there a generally accepted policy among agencies about office fees for new agents? Are they usually not charged for the first year/6 mos.? Also, how much do you pay if you are not an indy? TIA, Jim

I've heard of Real Estate agents having to pay office fees, but not insurance agents. Is this a common practice that I've been fortunate enough not to run into?

I made my reps pay for their own phone line but other than that, that was it.

I know some agencies that do charge desk fees. I think if you are getting use of an office, have access to fax machines, copiers, maybe their secretary then its not unreasonable to have to pay $250-$400 per month..........

Whether you think thats a good deal or fair is a different matter.

Office space has to be paid for somehow. It all depends on the setup. Some of the career shops give the GA a bonus based on production to pay for office space and equipment, some don't. Those that get a bonus often do not make the agents pay unless the bonus based on their production is not sufficient to pay for their space and usage. Others may the agents pay irregardless, as they see it as a revenue stream. Other GAs pay for it no matter what and just consider it the cost of doing business.

Basically, unless their is a company policy, the GA can do what he wants. And most pass on as much cost as they can get away with.

I've always had the idea of independents getting together to share office rent and expenses. I think it goes without saying that most agents perform better in an office environment.

Feel free to steal this idea but there's are a few roadblocks.

Back