Ok to subtract deductible and fees from Settlement amount?

Bravo

Hello,
A vehicle hit my parked vehicle (and others) and totaled it. I opted to file a claim with my insurance company and let them resolve with the other driver's insurance company - as allowed by my state of Maryland. My insurance has offered a settlement amount, which I am fine with - except that my policy deductible and 'fees and taxes' are being deducted from the total settlement cost.

I am uncertain that the deductions are proper - since, the accident was not my fault. Is it proper for my insurance company be making such deductions from the settlement amount? If so, how do I recover?

Thanks.

If you have filed with your carrier and that is the company making the settlement offer, they will absolutely deduct your deductible from the settlement....until they settle with the carrier of the person who hit you and at that point your deductible will be recovered and paid back to you. If you had the contact info of the other person, why did you file a claim with your carrier? If they recover more for your vehicle you should get that as well but chances are they will only subrogate for the amount they paid you plus the deductible

@guru, thanks for the reply. This matches how my insurance company explained it to me. I just wasn't sure if they were pulling my legs. I filed with my company because on two prior occasions when my vehicles were involved in mild/moderate accidents (not my fault), the other insurance companies were extremely slow and unresponsive while trying to resolve - too painful.

Back