Opening Day Obama Care Box Scores

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
(Reuters) - The online health insurance exchanges at the heart of President Barack Obama's healthcare law opened for business on October 1, although technical glitches stalled the launch in many states.

Here are some first day statistics reported by the exchanges, states and the federal government:

* About 2.8 million people visited healthcare.gov - the main website for the 36 state exchanges being run by the federal government - between midnight and mid-afternoon, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said.

* NY State of Health, New York state's exchange, reported 7.5 million website visits by mid-afternoon.

More states below:

Factbox: Day One of Obamacare exchanges, by the numbers | Reuters

----------

Health Insurance Markets Open To Surge Of New Customers And Problems

Health Insurance Markets Open To Surge Of New Customers « CBS New York :swoon:

What I hear Democrats lie about as the talking head speak online and on television is this idea that there's 40 or 50 plans available to people. What there are 4 to 5 companies in most states selling between eight and 10 plans each. There's actually less competition in the marketplace today than there was prior to ACA.

Paradigm, you're 100% right. In NY, by figures in our governor's press release( Governor Cuomo Announces Approval of 2014 Health Insurance Plan Rates for New York Health Benefit Exchange | Governor Andrew M. Cuomo), we had "over 15,000" plans available for sale in 2013. The chart that was released in the same press release outlined just over 100 ACA plans.

All said and done, state wide, we may have 1000 plans. In some regions, there may only be 5 or 10 plans total to choose from.

In his words:
"Previously, New York insurers offered more than 15,000 plans that widely varied in terms of level and quality of coverage provided – which encouraged ‘competition through confusion’ and made it difficult for purchasers to effectively compare plans side by side.

“New York’s health benefits exchange will offer the type of real competition that helps drive down health insurance costs for consumers and businesses,” said Governor Cuomo."

Real competition, the type the government dictates is real, played by their rules, with suppressed market forces and undue regulation restricting the ability of private enterprise to create product in response to market demand or price said product effectively.

The opening day box score for Obamacare is, in baseball terms, a 'golden sombrero'.

That's an 0fer with all strikeouts for anyone who isn't a fan.

It's hard to believe that after all of the money and effort put into this that the results are so bad. They would have been better off just giving ehealth.com the contract 3 years ago and instructed them to include an option for agents and insurance companies to process apps through their platform.

John, depending on your area, there may be only one carrier on the exchange (BX). According to the new rates in some areas are 2x - 3x higher than for the same plan and age in another area.

They blamed the lack of competition for the high rates.

Maybe, but I will be curious to see how off exchange rates in those areas compare with on exchange Blue rates.

I'd be interested in seeing ANY rates. So far I have no rates from any of my carriers. Am I the only one? I received plan designs from BCBS late on Friday and then Coventry sent some on Monday night. Those are the only 2 in our exchanges in MO & KS that I know of. Anyone else have no rates from anyone?

I got KP rates and plans this AM. Same plan and rates on and off exchange.

Higher deductibles and lots of OOP. Comparing (as best I can) to existing 2013 rates, they don't look bad.

I'd be interested in seeing ANY rates. So far I have no rates from any of my carriers. Am I the only one? I received plan designs from BCBS late on Friday and then Coventry sent some on Monday night. Those are the only 2 in our exchanges in MO & KS that I know of. Anyone else have no rates from anyone?

Meet me at the corner of 12th Street and Vine under the streetlight and I will supply all your healthcare rate needs. All rates will be in a brown paper bag and must be paid for in cash only! :cool:

Seriously I have the Mo and Ks rates so if you need them PM me. :biggrin:

The first 3 days of Open ObamaCare Enrollment were a huge SUCCESS. So many people wanted this product that the system couldn't handle the demand!

But take heart, because HHS is increasing capacity and wait times are dropping.

Link: ObamaCare wait times cut by one-third, HHS says - The Hill's Healthwatch

Enrollment interest and determination is waning due to the snafus. That might count for a wee bit of the drop in wait times don't cha think?
ac

Last edited:
The first 3 days of Open ObamaCare Enrollment were a huge SUCCESS. So many people wanted this product that the system couldn't handle the demand!

But take heart, because HHS is increasing capacity and wait times are dropping.

Link: ObamaCare wait times cut by one-third, HHS says - The Hill's Healthwatch

Enrollment interest and determination is waning due to the snafus. That might count for a wee bit of the drop in wait times don't cha think?
ac

10/4/13 00:38 hours: :no:
The system is down at the moment.

We're currently performing scheduled maintenance. Please try again later. :D

Back