Part B Premium

Omg!! He suggested he file his taxes?! Straight to jail
Caveat, not an agent.

I did not say he was going straight to jail, and you know it.

It was a tax advice comment. It was made to people who have, by their own admission not filed tax returns for 5 years. If the clients' attitudes towards IRS, and by extension, possibly SSA and CMS, leads to legal action against them, the agent could get sucked into that by clever attorneys. Even if the agent wins, there was still time and legal cost involved that would not have needed to happen if the agent avoided the client in the first place.

But, please note, that was NOT my first objection to that client. Based on op's post, I am not sure that client can be trusted to provide accurate or complete information in other spots where it might be important for the agent to have complete and accurate information. I think that makes rather shaky grounds for a business relationship.

I think this is an occasion where OP asked the wrong business related question, but OP is apparently a long term insurance agent and also knows that I am not an insurance agent. He has an additional perspective now to relate to his business situation.

Here comes the Calvary!
There is a word usage problem in your post. It is a mistake I have made multiple times and been called on multiple times. If you want to avoid embarrassments I have suffered over that, you might want to check it out and be careful with the words. I tend to have to stop and think now and be very careful with my pronunciation (or spelling) before I use one or the other of those words.

I have a client who was approved for A&B June 1. They have not filed income tax returns for five years due to an audit. ( Their excuse)

How will they determine the Part B premium? I suggested filing and then amending and they refused.
Walk away.

I had a client about 6 years ago that I signed up on MAPD at 65 but was not collecting social and I explained he would receive a quarterly billing for his part B, well he would not and never paid his part B and not only did he lose his MAPD he lost his part B and ended up in a hell of a mess.

I have a client who was approved for A&B June 1. They have not filed income tax returns for five years due to an audit. ( Their excuse)

How will they determine the Part B premium? I suggested filing and then amending and they refused.
I am somewhat familiar with this scenario.

I have a client that is a self-proclaimed "Sovereign Citizen". He hasn't filed his taxes in over 10 years...we'll try not to go down that rabbit hole..

But as I understand it, Medicare assumes you don't have any income if no taxes were filed. Therefore they will assign the base Part B premium amount.

Walk away.

I had a client about 6 years ago that I signed up on MAPD at 65 but was not collecting social and I explained he would receive a quarterly billing for his part B, well he would not and never paid his part B and not only did he lose his MAPD he lost his part B and ended up in a hell of a mess.
Happens more than you think. Especially with self employed.

Simply go back in Jan and sign him up for B again. Starts the whole process over again. Just like T65 except for a possible LEP.

I've done the same guy three times. And still no lep.

Back