Part D, Insulin and the new $35 Cap?

Medigap Bill

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
FL & TX
For those that run Part D reports for clients and/or actually do the Part D product. Is running insulin on the report going to even matter anymore if everything is capped at $35?

For example, a person is on 8 total meds but 4 of them are insulin related. Do you save yourself time and leave off insulin now? Why run them if you already know its $35?

I always found it difficult to tell if it was going to be covered under Part B or Part D anyway. Especially for T65 and complicated diabetic cases.

If you aren't doing the bare minimum (running prescriptions to get an accurate annual total) what are you even doing? It takes a couple minutes... imo this is one industry where cutting corners or taking short cuts is just asking for trouble.

a person is on 8 total meds but 4 of them are insulin related. Do you save yourself time and leave off insulin now? Why run them if you already know its $35?

You need to run reports every year, including the initial enrollment.

The $35 cap does not apply to all insulin medications (unless things have changed). The insulin(s) your client uses may not be on the formulary for the $35 copay.

For those that run Part D reports for clients and/or actually do the Part D product. Is running insulin on the report going to even matter anymore if everything is capped at $35?

For example, a person is on 8 total meds but 4 of them are insulin related. Do you save yourself time and leave off insulin now? Why run them if you already know its $35?

I always found it difficult to tell if it was going to be covered under Part B or Part D anyway. Especially for T65 and complicated diabetic cases.

what is insulin related? I hope your not thinking Diabetic meds..

I ran a report yesterday with insulin meds included. A pop up in several different locations on Gov site stated the following:

"IMPORTANT! The cost of a one-month supply of each Part D-covered insulin is capped at $35. If you get a 60- or 90-day supply of insulin, your costs can’t be more than $35 for each month’s supply of each covered insulin."

You need to run reports every year, including the initial enrollment.

The $35 cap does not apply to all insulin medications (unless things have changed). The insulin(s) your client uses may not be on the formulary for the $35 copay.

Back