Partnerships

Partnerships suck.

In my first business, I involved myself with a local personal trainer and gym owner at 21 and leveraged his name and location to get me up and running.

We agreed to terms, but several key matters were not spelled out.

It ended ugly. He went outside the scope of the contract and demanded rent versus a revenue share, and effectively was using his space I rented (that was spelled out in the contract as mine to use alone) for his other trainers, blocking me out from training my clients.

I formally announced my desire to dissolve the contract, and informed him I was taking the clients (which I generated all on my own) without sharing any piece of the revenue, as I felt his inability to recognize and respect the contract, meant I could make some ballsy moves.

We shook hands and walked away.

Later that night, I received a call from his 20-something intern that I was not to come back to the gym, shorting me 3 or 4 days of the rent I already paid.

I called him at his home, and told him I couldn't believe he didn't have the balls to call me and sent his intern to do his dirty work. Needless to say, that's when he got ugly and honest with me. (Although I was having a panic attack and enraged, looking back I feel pretty good about myself at 22 standing up to a 55 year old, conniving douche-bag)

Moral of the story is that partnerships, much like marriages, more often than not don't work these days. Save yourself the agony and find a way to do business on your own, how you see fit.

That is why in any real business any big thriving business it's always one person started it, one persons idea and one person that controlled everything and it was that persons way or the highway until they got big enough where they had to have people to help them but even them itcwas there way,hope that makes sense.

All the big companies are based on one guy... Period

Sorry dude partnerships don't work.

Man I wasn't expecting this type of response.

Situation is that me and the other gave have worked together at a captive agency together for awhile and both trust each other and have similar work ethics and values.

You can still work together, just do it separately. You can partner up to help each other generate business, market, do seminars, or whatever... just don't form an actual legal partnership. I have several folks that I "partner" with now and then on various things, we have no legal tie to each other and things work fine. If they ever don't, we can just stop working with each other.

I would take the advice in this thread to heart. Partnerships rarely end well, and they all start out with great intentions.

Do yourself a favor and form an S-Corp or LLC (talk with your attorney & CPA). Do NOT form a legal partnership. Your personal assets such as your home, etc. will be fair game for the attorneys in the event your business partner racks up too much personal debt and declares bankruptcy. You have no control over what your partner does, but you are legally responsible for their bad financial decisions.

My dad went through this 30 years ago. Had a successful insurance agency and his partner went hog wild buying things he had no business buying, racking up personal debt, and stealing from the business to try to pay for them. Then when he couldn't pay for them, filed for bankruptcy, and so the business had to be sold, forcing my dad to also file bk. So not only did my dad's business get sold, he ended up losing his house as well. I don't know all of the details as I was 13 at the time, but all I know is the end result sucked. Not fun starting over from zero again.

Do your due diligence and research on this. Do not do business as a sole-proprietorship, and do not form a partnership. There are other, better ways to still work together if you want to. My 2cents.

Partnerships? I wrote a huge paragraph on partnerships and realized how bitter and angry I still am about my bad one and I came out better than the other guy. A bad partnership is worse than a bad marriage and the break up is uglier. No my friend, share what you can, keep your own BoB, and keep your paychecks separate.

Two great ways to get rid of a friend.

1. Lend them money
2. Go into business with them

There are plenty of success stories and vastly more ruined friendships.

I couldn't agree more. I do not recommend partnership. Have confidence in your own abilities and finances and go it without a partnership.

I'd say partnerships are just like marriages. Some work. Some don't.

They are the opposite of a Marriage....Man and woman are having lots of $ex and get married and that ends the fooking.....In business things are going well and you create a partnership and that is when the fooking begins.

Man I wasn't expecting this type of response. Situation is that me and the other gave have worked together at a captive agency together for awhile and both trust each other and have similar work ethics and values.

About two years ago I worked for SF as agent staff. A buddy of mine was doing the same. We both wanted to go off on our own and went round and round about making the leap together. I know where you have been. This is how it worked out for me: I decided I was ready to make the leap and when push came to shove he wasn't willing to take the risk and jump. So I did it on my own and created the company and processes. About six months later as things were going well I went back to him and told him it was time. He still took a fair amount of risk because it was a brand new company with no benefits and straight commission. So I gave him a percentage of ownership in his book of business but not in the agency itself. This was a better deal for him than any other place in town with far less headaches. I take all the heat, responsibility, pay the bills, write the checks, and make all final decisions. He just writes business and gets paid. I tend to be strong willed and quick to make things happen and get things done. He tends to be a thinker. So it has worked out perfectly. I also did have a parter day one but he was only there as a money backer to make sure I saw the light of the day. I bought him out harmlessly at the end of year two. But we knew from the beginning that was the plan. I would never have an equal partner ever. If you think you need a partner to be successful go back to the drawing board. You can hire people to fill in the gaps where you are not strong. I'm terrible at paperwork and quick to make decisions so I hired a paper person and married someone to slow me down when I need it.

Back