PDP Selection for Client With No Medications

cai24

Expert
I am a newer agent and have had a couple of instances where the customer has no medications. I feel like this makes PDP selection more difficult, but I probably am overthinking it. They'll usually tell me that they just want something decent that will be there if anything changes. I usually interpret this as meaning more of a mid/moderate priced plan, but I can certainly adjust up or down based on preference, Part D deductible, etc. My thought is that we can always make adjustments the following year. I'm just curious how most of you approach these situations. I guess I'm curious if it's a case by case basis, or if you have a general process for it. I find it easier when I have a medication list, because at least it helps narrow down plans considerably. Thanks in advance for any input.

I am a newer agent and have had a couple of instances where the customer has no medications. I feel like this makes PDP selection more difficult, but I probably am overthinking it. They'll usually tell me that they just want something decent that will be there if anything changes. I usually interpret this as meaning more of a mid/moderate priced plan, but I can certainly adjust up or down based on preference, Part D deductible, etc. My thought is that we can always make adjustments the following year. I'm just curious how most of you approach these situations. I guess I'm curious if it's a case by case basis, or if you have a general process for it. I find it easier when I have a medication list, because at least it helps narrow down plans considerably. Thanks in advance for any input.
If they aren't taking any meds, then go with the cheapest plan that pays commissions to avoid penalties. If need be, you can change to a different plan as needed every year..

We can "upgrade" your Part D plan in the future if need be. But since you aren't on any Rx's, let's do (insert flavor of the year - 2023 is WellCare Value Script - lowest price commissionable PDP).

If they insist on SilverCheapAgentsOuttaCommission Rx -- I tell them that they'll need to self-enroll, and self-manage, as I won't be their agent on the policy and I won't be able to provide them with any information or assistance. The extra few dollars for WellCare gets them better Tier 2 coverage and also an agent.

Last edited:
Back