Portability of individual BC/BS plans

Dave020,
The original blue seems to be ignorant of the BCBS interplan transfer in general. A senior underwriter from another Wellpoint East state is checking into the whole thing.

:huh:

Knowledge about these plans seems to vary from Blue carrier to carrier. Let me know what they tell you, I am curious what they have to say.

Dave

Dave020,
A Blue Cross underwriter from a different WellPoint state finally got back to me to confirm that indeed you are correct. There is in fact an Interplan Transfer that I believe is called Century Wide.

A regional VP had held a meeting in Virginia where this very topic came up. Nobody in my two states CT/NH had known a thing about this. They will know soon once I get the information.

I am waiting on the plan details, rates etc. and will be back to you all shortly.

Last edited:
Yes, I know this is 3 yrs old, but I am trying to help someone moving to GA from VA and not getting anywhere.

I am putting Dave on the spot by letting anyone who reads this know I have pinged him. He is such a gracious guy and has so much time on his hands since retiring I know I will have an answer before I hit submit.

In addition to Super Dave, if anyone has experience pulling this off with BCBSGA I would appreciate your advice.

Sent you an e-mail Bob.

For those interested, the inter plan transfer program is best referred to as "T-6 Wire Transfer". All Blues are familiar with the term "T-6" as relates to inter plan transfer.

The T-6 is an electronic statement of eligibility sent from home Blue to the new Blue. Any candidate for a T-6 transfer Blue-to-Blue must be covered on the original Blue plan for at least 3 months. Blues generally offer an individual conversion plan to T-6 transfers.

One thing they won't tell you, T-6 transfers must be with the same licensee. In a lot of cases it is a moot point. However, Anthem BCBS from any other state coming to CA must go with Anthem BC and cannot go with Blue Shield here since they are separate licensees. Pre-ObamaCare updates, Anthem was the worse choice because the plan capped lifetime at $100,000 madx while Shield caps at $6MM.

Last edited:
Sent you an e-mail Bob.

For those interested, the inter plan transfer program is best referred to as "T-6 Wire Transfer". All Blues are familiar with the term "T-6" as relates to inter plan transfer.

The T-6 is an electronic statement of eligibility sent from home Blue to the new Blue. Any candidate for a T-6 transfer Blue-to-Blue must be covered on the original Blue plan for at least 3 months. Blues generally offer an individual conversion plan to T-6 transfers.

One thing they won't tell you, T-6 transfers must be with the same licensee. In a lot of cases it is a moot point. However, Anthem BCBS from any other state coming to CA must go with Anthem BC and cannot go with Blue Shield here since they are separate licensees. Pre-ObamaCare updates, Anthem was the worse choice because the plan capped lifetime at $100,000 madx while Shield caps at $6MM.

Interesting info. So what happens when the BCBS in one state does not operate in another state? As an example, BCBSNC plan being transferred to BCBSFL?

Got it, thx Dave.

BCBSGA is an Anthem/Wellpoint company but no way to know if that holds any water here. I have passed on all the information to these folks and will see what happens.

Up to my butt in alligator's and don't have a lot of time for working for free, but will keep my finger in this as much as I can.

Got it, thx Dave.

BCBSGA is an Anthem/Wellpoint company but no way to know if that holds any water here. I have passed on all the information to these folks and will see what happens.

Up to my butt in alligator's and don't have a lot of time for working for free, but will keep my finger in this as much as I can.

You mean they don't pay you the 2% commission that Anthem so generously offers here? I am shocked.

I don't get squat on HIPAA plans. Supposedly we are to be paid, but I have submitted half a dozen HIPAA apps in the last year and haven't seen a dime on any of them. When I call, the carrier says they don't pay commissions on that particular plan.

The DOI says differently and frankly, I don't have the time or desire to fight it.

Latest posts

Back